8 November 2015

Book Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Simon & Schuster 
Published: 5th January 2012
Pages: 356
Genre: YA, 
Main Characters: Emma, Josh
Date Read: 13th October - 2nd November 2015

Rating Given:
 photo onefive.jpg
Synopsis:It's 1996 and very few high school students have ever used the internet. Facebook will not be invented until several years in the future. Emma just got a computer and an America Online CD. She and her best friend Josh power it up and log on - and discover themselves on Facebook in 2011. Everybody wonders what they'll be like fifteen years in the future. Josh and Emma are about to find out.

I've had this sat on my shelf for a long while now ad have only just gotten around to reading it I just wished I loved it as everyone else but in the end it just wasn't for me...

I love the colourful cover as it makes the book stand out. I also like the realistic people on the cover as they look your everyday person that you would meet on the street. I'm not sure I see those people as Emma and Josh.

The thing about this book is in the beginning it was very addicting even though it wasn't something that I was enjoying that much yet somehow I was addicted to it. I loved the concept of the story but I felt there was no real reasoning behind it I felt like there was no real closure to the whole seeing what the future is going to hold for them and when they where so obsessed with the future a lot of things where just forgotten. There was a lot of hypocrisy happening in this book which was so annoying. I did like the friendship between Emma and Kellan as well as Josh and Tyson. I didn't like any of the romance from the two main characters but I did enjoy seeing Kellan and Tyson together as they where so cute and I just wish there was more from them. I did love all of the cultural references throughout the book as it made me feel very nostalgic. I hated the ending to this book because I felt it was rushed I felt like it needed to be a bit longer for me it ended rather abruptly.

I didn't warm to any of the main characters but there was a couple of secondary characters that I liked in fact I would have preferred if it was their book rather than Emma and Josh. Emma was my least favourite character and in fact she was my worst female character ever. She was so annoying, very selfish and very shallow. Josh had moments when I thought I was going to like him but in the end he annoyed me with the way he just gave in, he just had no backbone.

Overall, I was expecting a lot from this book but for me it was a let down.