2 October 2013

Book Review: The Forgotten Ones (The Danaan Trilogy #1) by Laura Howard

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: earc
Publishers: Amazon Digital Services
Published: 28th April 2013
Pages: 197
Series: (The Danaan Trilogy #1)
Genre: New Adult/Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Main Characters: Allison
Date Read: 4th August - 28th August 2013
Rating Given:
  photo threefive.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.

What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.

I was asked to review this book by the author and for the most part I am glad I said yes.

I love the cover it was one of the reasons why I wanted to read this book. The colours work so well together and I also love that there aren't bright colours yet the cover still stands out to me. The font of the title I also love as that is my favourite kind of font so maybe a little biased there. What I don't like about the cover is that it doesn't give anything away on what the story is about.

It took me ages to get into this book as there wasn't much going on but it did get more interesting over half way thrugh especially towards the end. It was a little confusing in places. I did love that we had some Irish people in it as I love the Irish and I could just imagine they way they spoke! I loved the paranormal side of the story as it was different to what I have read before which is always good. This book would have probably received a higher rating if the paranormal was introduced sooner. The romance side was kind of good and I could definitely feel the chemistry but I would have liked more of the romance in it but that has more to do with me loving romance in my books. The ending was really good and it had me hooked so I will definitely be reading the next book.

I really did like most of the characters even if there was times when I never knew who we could trust. Allison was a good female character who was helping out with her mother while trying to get on with her life. There was times when she did annoy me. I really did like Ethan he seemed like  nice guy and sometimes whould think to him why bother? Allison's Dad was one of my favourite character and I really do hope we get to see even more from him in the next book.

Overall it was a slow start but once I got further into the book it really did pick up. Looking forward to see how this series progresses.