3 April 2014

Book Review: The Haunted (MacKinnon Curse, #2) by J.A. Templeton

May contain spoilers from the first book
Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 8th January 2012
Pages: 214
Genre: Mature YA, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Riley, Kade, Shane
Date Read: 29th March - 1st April 2014
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg

Blurb:
After battling a malevolent ghost that held the spirit of her friend Ian MacKinnon bound to the land for two hundred years, sixteen-year-old reluctant psychic, Riley Williams, felt as if she was finally easing into her new life in Scotland.
Or so she thought.
Laria, the spirit of the witch who had cursed Ian wants revenge for Riley’s interference and she’s bringing along friends—dark entities who thrive on evil.
The one bright spot in Riley’s world is Ian’s descendent, Kade MacKinnon, who could easily be Ian’s modern day twin. The parallels between the two guys are undeniable. As Riley’s relationship with Kade blossoms, she begins to realize Laria has grown in her power since their last confrontation—a power that could very well manipulate the living just as effectively as the dead.
Please note: THE HAUNTED is a mature YA. Due to strong language, mention of alcohol and drug use, cutting, and sexual content, it is not recommended for younger teens.

This is the second in the MacKinnon Curse series which I have had on my kindle ages which I am surprised at as I have loved the books before this and was told by my Sister that it was a great series, which I now believe her...

I kind of like the cover as it matches the rest of the series. I especially the the font for the title as the red slashes do tie in with the story.

When I first started this book I didn't think I was going to remember what had happened in the previous books as it has been a while since I read them but there was a few little reminders throughout the book that helped me understand. This book was a lot more creepier than the previous books as the ghosts seemed a lot stronger than before, but I didn't mind this as it kept me hanging on their every move. I loved that I never knew what was going to happen next with a lot of things that shocked me it was just that enthralling I felt like I was there with Riley. I didn't think that I was going to like the romance side of the story as I thought it wouldn't be believable considering how she felt for Ian but the more we got to see Riley and Kade interact the more I felt their chemistry through the pages. I felt so many different emotions throughout this book especially sadness but there was a couple of light moments that had me smiling away to myself. I loved the ending as some of the things kind of got sorted out but there was a lot more that didn't which has me excited to read the next book that I will try and read a lot sooner than I did with this one and the first one.

I loved all of the returning characters and some of the new ones introduced was just as loveable. It was hard to know which characters where acting like themselves and which wasn't but like Riley I started to twig on which where which. Riley seemed a lot stronger in this one which was surprising with all the things that kept happening to her and she kept her head held high which was great to see. Kade was another great character who wasn't in the first one as much as he was in this one so I felt we got a better understanding of him. There was a moment I was a bit scared when he did something really bad but I understood what happened. One of the new characters was Madison who I would loved to have seen more of as she seems like a great character.

Overall another great book in the MacKinnon Curse series that had me addicted from page one!