7 May 2015

Book Review: Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback 
Publishers: Feral Dream
Published: 14th February 2012
Pages: 284
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Dystopia
Main Characters: Penryn, Raffe
Date Read: 18th April - 26th April 2015
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg

Synopsis:
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Travelling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

I received this for my birthday a couple of years ago now and I have only just gotten around to reading it. I really don't know why it took me so long to get around with it but in a way I'm glad I waited as I will be able to get the last book read with he series fresh in my mind.

I'm a huge fan of this cover and I must admit the cover was why I wanted to read it, I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover and I've been let down by favourite covers before but thankfully the story lives up to the cover. I love that the cover is simple with the dark colours saying everything.

As soon as I started this book I knew that all those reviews where not lying as this was one amazing read. There was so much happening in this book that I was never bored of reading it and it was written in a way that didn't make me feel overwhelmed with everything happening. I usually love romance in the books that I read but there wasn't really any of that happening apart from maybe a glimpse of something to come, I just didn't mind the lack of romance as I was so enthralled with everything that actually was happening I found that I didn't miss the romance. I have read a few angel books now and I have enjoyed most of them but I think that this one stands out for me. For me this book was beautifully written making me feel like I was watching what was happening rather than reading what was happening. As well as action there was some emotional scenes in there as well as one particular scene broke my heart and made me want to shout at the character not to believe what he was seeing. The ending was just as amazing as the rest of the book as left me wanting more and I am so glad I have book two waiting for me.

I loved all the characters and hated others (that I was supposed to hate). Penryn has to be one of my favourite female characters ever as she was strong, kick-ass, independent girl. She had to go through a lot of hard times yet it just makes her stronger. What I especially loved about her was the lengths in which she would go to for her sister. Raffe I also loved especially towards the end when he showed a softer (yet heartbreaking) side to him. My other favourite characters where Dee-Dum as they added much needed humour in what was dark times.

Overall I adored this book and I am now off to read the next book as I need to know what on earth is going to happen next.