20 August 2015

Book Review: Sentinel (Covenant, #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

May contain spoilers from previous books in the series.
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Spencer Hill Press
Published: 2nd November 2013
Pages: 297
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance,
Main Characters: Alex, Aiden, Seth
Date Read: 6th August - 18th August 2015

Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg

Synopsis:It's a beautiful day for a war.
As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.
And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.
In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

I've had this sat on my shelf for a while now but I've kept putting it off as it's the last one, I thought I would read it now so I can get on to the spin off series sooner rather than later.

I have loved all of the covers in this series and my main reason was the colours used yet this one is my favourite but I think that is more down to the fact I love black and white. I love the simplicity of this cover and I think if there was any more on the cover like the others in this series it wouldn't have worked half as well. I find the cover very much symbolic and works well with the story.

When I first started I found it very hard to get into with me forgetting what happened in the previous books not helping. I also felt it dragged a bit as well in the beginning but just before halfway it started to really pick up pace with so much happening I had to keep reading just to see what happened next. There was a few twists and turns that happened that I just wasn't expecting especially that ending. Obviously I loved the relationship between Alex and Aiden as they are so cute together even if they don't always agree. I also liked seeing the relationship between Alex and Seth but my favourite would be the relationship between Aiden and Seth as they both wind each other up adding much needed humour to the book. I'm in two minds about the ending as it was a great ending but I didn't feel like it was completely finished Apollo even says to some of them that your story isn't over. Yes I know there is a spin off but this is Seth's book not Alex's but maybe she will appear giving her story a bit more closure.

Like the ending I am also in two minds about the characters well apart from Aiden as I loved him just as much as in the other books he is such a selfless character even if he doesn't realise it. Alex changed a lot through out this book as well as the series but there is a reason behind her behaviour in the beginning of this book. I loved seeing Seth back to his 'charming' self but I could never truly trust his motivations but in the end he did an amazing thing that's hard not to forgive him. I loved seeing more from the Apollo he has to be one of my favourite characters along with Aiden and Deacon.

Overall once I got over the beginning I really started to get into it. I'm sad to see it come to an end even if I wasn't truly happy with the ending.