15 April 2013

Book Review: Sleeping Beauty by John Phythyon

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published:12th June 2012
Pages:
Genre: Retelling, Romance
Main Characters: Beth, Carl
Date Read: 31st March 2013
Rating Given:
 photo onefive.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:  

Beth Shipman has been in a coma for two years. Now sixteen, her friends have abandoned her, and her mother is slowly going insane. Only one person remains interested in her — Carl, the young man who fell in love with her on the first day of Sixth Grade. He visits two or three times a week, talking to her and hoping she will wake.

Carl may just be the key to breaking the spell that holds Beth in its grip. Her mother has a desperate plan to free her Pretty Princess from eternal slumber, but it won’t be easy. Carl must overcome his doubts and believe in the power of love, and Beth’s father Rex isn’t interested in her waking up. After all, he’s the one who put her to sleep in the first place. Can True Love’s First Kiss really break the curse, or are darkness, insanity, and self-doubt too strong?

“Sleeping Beauty” is a creepy reimagining of a familiar story that explores what happens when parents go too far to protect their children. A cautionary tale, it reminds us there is a fine line between love and obsession, between care and cruelty.


I love retelling so when I saw that this was free on Amazon I jumped at the chance to get it but after reading it I'm not so happy as I didn't enjoy it as much as what I thought I would.

The cover is fitting to the story although the girl looks dead which I feel makes the cover look a bit morbid. I love that the colours have been kept similar as I think it makes it stand out.

When I first started this book I thought I was going to enjoy it but the more I read the more I started to dislike it. I felt that this book was a bit too short, I know I say that a lot with short stories but in this case it needed to be longer so I could find out what happened next as I think this was a stand alone book. I was disappointed with most of this book as I felt there wasn't many good characters which with it being a fairytale retelling I would have expected there to be more than one good character. The romance side of the story was a complete and utter let down as I felt it wasn't even in the story which Sleeping Beauty and any fairytale is mainly about romance so I was very disappointed in that side of the story. The other reason was that there was a few random parts to the story which never made sense especially with them not getting resolved. When I ended I was thinking was that it as it just seemed to end abruptly with no lose ends tied up.

The characters was very much one dimensional and I just didn't get to like them. There was no characters that evolved with the story but I think that has more to do with how short the story was.

Overall this book did have promise especially with it being based on one of my favourite fairytales but this book was a bit of a let down.