16 April 2015

Book Review: The Hook Up (Game On, #1) by Kristen Callihan

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US 

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie 
Published: 7th September 2014
Pages: 352
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance, 
Main Characters: Anna, Drew   
Date Read: 5th April - 9th April 2015

Rating Given:
 photo fourfive.jpg

Synopsis:
The rules: no kissing on the mouth, no staying the night, no telling anyone, and above all… No falling in love.
Anna Jones just wants to finish college and figure out her life. Falling for star quarterback Drew Baylor is certainly not on her to do list. Confident and charming, he lives in the limelight and is way too gorgeous for his own good. If only she could ignore his heated stares and stop thinking about doing hot and dirty things with him. Easy right?
Too bad he’s committed to making her break every rule…
Football has been good to Drew. It’s given him recognition, two National Championships, and the Heisman. But what he really craves is sexy yet prickly Anna Jones. Her cutting humor and blatant disregard for his fame turns him on like nothing else. But there’s one problem: she's shut him down. Completely.
That is until a chance encounter leads to the hottest sex of their lives, along with the possibility of something great. Unfortunately, Anna wants it to remain a hook up. Now it’s up to Drew to tempt her with more: more sex, more satisfaction, more time with him. Until she’s truly hooked. It's a good thing Drew knows all about winning.
All’s fair in love and football…Game on.
New Adult/Contemporary Romance with a HEA - Recommended for readers 17 and older.

I have wanted to read this book for awhile and nearly bought it for my kindle, when I looked through my emails and found that I had it already for review so obviously I had to read it straight away.

I'm not sure I see the model as Drew he seems too thin for Drew as he is supposed to be this huge guy and that's not what I get from this model. I do like the colours used but that's about it. I do prefer the new cover for this book as every detail suits the book.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this book when I first started it as the prologue kind of annoyed me for reasons I still don't know why but once I got over that first hurdle I fell in love with the whole story. What I loved the most about this story was that it was written in alternating points of views which I always love because then I can get a better understanding of both the parties especially the male characters as usually it's the female that we know everything about but not the guy but not this time. What I found different about this book to other New Adult Contemporary Romance novel was that it wasn't the girl that was obsessed and immediately in love it was Drew who seemed to be in love straight away. I loved the chemistry between Anna and Drew as it was smoking and even if Anna didn't realise it they made such a cute couple. Things took a huge turn around at the end which made me fall in love with this book even more and if it wasn't for the way Anna treated Drew halfway through the book this would definitely have been a five star book. I loved the ending as we got to see Anna and Drew a couple of years later which is always a plus for me.

I was never 100% sure about all of the characters as there was moments all of them had bad moments. Anna started off as an ok character who stood up for herself and had bite but under all that there was a very vulnerable girl who had some issues that she hadn't dealt with. She did annoy me at times especially the way she treated Drew but by the end she seemed to change for the better. Drew I pretty much loved straight away as he was so sweet. There was a moment near the end when we saw a completely different side to him which wasn't a good side but I could kind of forgive him for that considering what he was going through.

Overall this was a great read and I now can't wait to read more from this series even if it isn't involving Anna and Drew.