28 March 2012

Book Cover: The Immortals Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

I love this cover in the way that it uses only a few colours but the colours that are used complement each other beautifully. I would never have thought about using blue and red together but maybe this has more to do with the shade of the colour. With it being a dark blue it makes the red pop in a way it wouldn't have if it was a lighter shade. The blood running down the face from the eye looks so effective and was what first drew me into it, it looks creepy and gives me a feel for what is to come from the book.
The way in which it has only used a close up of the face also looks effective as I don't think it would give off the same feel if it was the whole body. Also the shadowing on the face continues on with the creepy feel of the cover.
When I first glanced at this cover I wasn't sure that I actually liked it as it looked like it was grainy and not what I would think a good enough finished version, but the more I look at it the more I think it gives the cover more texture to me it looks like suede I would love to see an actual final copy to see what it looks like in the flesh.
The title has been kept simple like the rest of the cover but what makes it stand out is the colour and the way in which it looks like it is shining it looks so effective.
Usually the series title isn't used on the front of the cover and if it is used it's not as noticeable as the actual title but because of the symbols that are used instead of the letter it really makes it stand out but it is still in the background as it doesn't shine like the title.
I can't wait to read this book, (which I do have from Netgalley) I hope it's as good as the cover.

What do you think about this cover? Do you agree or disagree with me, let me know your thoughts