23 December 2013

Book Review: The Kiss Before Christmas by Sophie Pembroke

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19230791-the-kiss-before-christmas
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: earc
Publishers: Harper Impulse
Published: 19th December 2013
Pages: 108
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Dory, Lucas
Date Read: 19th December - 22nd December 2013
Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg
 

The Blurb:

An English Girl in New York

As the snow starts to fall on Manhattan, PA Dory Mackenzie is a long way from home, far from the comforts and cheer of her cozy family Christmases back in Liverpool.

So when her boss Tyler Alexander offers to pay her pricey ticket home for New Year, Dory just can’t say no… even if she has to pretend to be his girlfriend for the holidays!

Tyler may be hiding the real reason he needs a girlfriend-of-convenience but that’s the least of Dory’s worries when she’s up against the disapproval of his high society mother, and the suspicions of his gorgeous older brother Lucas, the black sheep of the family.

There’s no fooling Lucas, and it’s not just the truth he wants to get closer to… So before the bells have even rung out for Christmas day, Dory finds herself caught up in the Alexander family’s dramas – and sharing more than just a few kisses under the mistletoe!


Another enjoyable Christmas read thanks to Netgalley and Harper Impulse!

 I kind of like the cover as it is cute and kind of Christmassy, however it's another one of those covers that just don't fit into the actual story.

This book didn't start of particularly great but it was enjoyable enough for me to continue and I'm glad I did as it got a lot better. I loved that it was a quick read as I always love those but sometimes with the short books we don't get enough background information which I felt that was the case occasionally. There was times when some of the story just didn't seem believable but by the end I didn't seem to care. I felt the ending was a bit rushed and if the story was longer then maybe it would have rated an even higher review.

There was some characters that I thought where great and others that I just couldn't stand but I think that was the point of the story. Dory was a one of those characters that I liked she was a strong person especially with some of the things she had to deal with. Lucas was the other character that I liked as he is a very smart, funny and observant. The rest of the characters I didn't like they was just selfish and only cared about how people would perceive them.

Overall a bit of a slow start but by the end I liked it.