25 November 2014

Book Review: Illuminated by Erica Orloff

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Speak
Published: 8th December 2011
Pages: 244
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance, 
Main Characters: Callie, August, 
Date Read: 9th November - 20th November 2014
Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg

Synopsis:
Some loves are not made to last . . . Like Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were doomed from the start, and their romance was destined to pass into history. Yet when sixteen-year-old Callie Martin discovers a diary hidden within an antique book, their story - and hers - takes on another life. For the diary leads Callie to the brilliant and handsome August, who is just as mysterious as the secret the diary hides. Their attraction is undeniable. As the two hunt down the truth behind the diary - and that of Heloise and Abelard's ancient romance - their romance becomes all-consuming. But Callie knows it can't last . . . love never does. Will their love that burns as bright as a shooting star flame out, or will these star-crossed lovers be able to defy history?

I have had this book sitting on my shelf for a while now but thankfully I got around to reading it as I really enjoyed it...

From a distance I absolutely adore the cover but when I look up close at the physical book I'm not such a fan. The reason why is that around all the shapes there's a line of stars and circles which I just think there wasn't a need for.

Usually when I'm in two minds about a book it's usually the end that saves the book but in this case it wasn't to be. I was enjoying this book so much at the beginning that I thought I was going to give it five stars but by the end I felt a little let down as it lost its steam. With me now reading a lot of new adult books I have now got used to the instant love but even for them books this was far too quick and at times felt a bit unhealthy. I loved the other romance stories involved in this book. I also learnt something new from this book as I never knew the story of Heloise and Abelard was real which really surprised me as I love a good love story and theirs seemed epic. There was a part of the story that wasn't utilized to its full potential as it just seemed to be randomly added and then nothing else was said about it. I think that maybe if this book was longer so that things was cleared up in more detail rather a quick update.

All the characters in this book was really sweet and at times too sweet with no back bone. Callie I felt for at times but then some of the things she did just seemed too childish and she was definitely a hypocrite. August I kind of liked throughout the book but there was moments when he really did annoy me. My favourite character in this book was Callie's Uncle Harry as he seemed to actually have the most character in him making him feel the most real.

Overall I really enjoyed the beginning but it just didn't hold up and by the end I just felt it lacking.