10 November 2011

Book Review: My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles #1)

My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles #1) by Alyxandra Harvey
(a.k.a: Hearts at Stake)

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
Published: 22nd December 2009
Pages: 256
Main Characters: Lucy, Nicholas, Solange and Kieran
Date Started: 8th November 2011
Date Finished: 10th November 2011
Rating Given: *****

Goodreads:
The Drakes are rather different to your usual neighbours. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen.

Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire?

Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer . . .
I have never really fancied reading this book but recently I have gone on a YA kick and saw that this has some good reviews so I thought I would give it a try what I never expected was how much I loved this book.

As soon as I opened this book I fell in love with it as I was drawn to the character's and the world around them which usually takes me at least a couple of pages for a five star or a couple of chapter's for a less rating but this book got me straight away right until the last page and I even wanted more pages I didn't want to finish it but I couldn't put it down.

Lucy or should I say Lucky (her real name but doesn't like it so goes by Lucy), is such a fun character she is really funny and I love the banter she has with Solange's brothers especially Nicholas. She is what all lead characters should be as she is likable, fun and a fighter. She is definitely one of my favourite female character's out of all the books I have read. Lucy is the human in this story and is best friends with Solange and has been for most of their lives. She knows that the Drake family are a family of vampires and doesn't seem to mind.

Solange is a born vampire and when her 16th birthday she will turn into a fully fledged vampire, however it's not as simple as it sounds. She is supposedly a part of a prophecy in which the first female born vampire would be the queen so naturally not everyone is happy about this and will go to any lengths to stop her turning. Solange is not as feisty as Lucy but she seems nice enough and would do anything to protect her family and Lucy.

I love Nicholas even though in my opinion we don't get to know about him as much as what I would have liked so I hoping we will in future books.

The relationship between Lucy and Nicholas is one of my favourites ever! They are so funny together and take digs at each other but you can just feel the chemistry between them I just wish there was more of them together maybe in future books.

I didn't get the same kind of connection between Solange and Kieran I just wanted to get back to Lucy's chapter so we could have more Nicholas.

I loved the start of this series and I hope they get even more better with each book.

I can't wait to get the next book!