4 July 2014

Book Review: City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8755776-city-of-lost-souls
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Walker Books
Published: 6th September 2012
Pages: 544
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Main Characters: Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabelle, Magnus
Date Read: 17th June - 30th June 2014
Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg


Synopsis:
The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?
Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

“Kill me, little sister. Kill me and you kill Jace, too.”

I had put off reading this book when I first got it as I knew there was going to be a long wait for the next book and now I kind of wished I hadn't put it off for so long...

I do like that these covers have all been kept similar as you know that it's a part of a series. I didn't used to be a fan of these covers but the more I see them the more I like them. I love the way it looks like they are shining as it makes them stand out and I feel like it adds something more beautiful to the cover.

It may look like it took me awhile to read this book but I did actually stop reading it once a book that I had been waiting on had arrived so in actually fact I read this in maybe less than a week and considering the size of the book thats a feat in itself. I did feel like I needed to read this quicker than normal because I wanted to get it over with but my the end I was reading it faster because I was enjoying it and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. At the beginning I did find that I couldn't remember what had happened in the previous book which I think was because I left it so long but there was subtle reminders so I didn't feel too lost. There was a lot happening in this book so I loved that it was told from alternating points of views as I didn't feel like I was missing out on something. I really enjoyed the ending as it answered some questions but it also left it wide open for the last book and even though this wasn't my favourite book I am still really excited to see what happens in the last book.

With this book being in alternating points of views we was able to get a better understanding of each of the characters. Jace was the only one we didn't really get to know better as one minute he was the Jace we all know and love from the first three books and then the next minute there was a more sinister side to him. There was a lot of times when I warmed towards Sebastian but then I would remember that I don't like him. Clary seemed to be the same old Clary but there was a few times when I saw how much she really has grown throughout this series. I loved Simon and I felt so sorry for him in one particular scene. There was times when Isabelle annoyed me as she said one thing but meant another thing which did get tiring very fast. I loved Alec and Magnus together but there was something that did happen that made me want to knock some sense into Alec.

Overall for me it felt like the spark was missing from this book compared to the first three which is a shame as this was one of my favourite series but after this one and the previous one it has slipped from the number one series.

“Unhappy? I was lucky. So, so lucky. And I couldn’t see it.” His eyes met hers. “I love you,” he said. “And you make me happier than I ever thought I could be. And now that I know what it’s like to be someone else—to lose myself—I want my life back. My family. You. All of it.” His eyes darkened. “I want it back.” 

1 comment:

  1. I am so behind on this series. I lost interested after book 3. I should maybe try reading them again.

    ReplyDelete