22 July 2014

Book Review: Red and Her Wolf (Kingdom, #3) by Marie Hall

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17876853-red-and-her-wolf
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US 

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 27th September 2012
Pages: 176
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Violet, Ewan
Date Read: 6th July - 10th July 2014
Rating Given:
 photo three.jpg


Synopsis:
Long ago there lived a beautiful child. Her name was Violet. Fair of skin, with blonde hair and large blue eyes. Born of wild magic, she was a woman with a child’s heart. Innocent and lovely, but not at all what she seemed--you see Violet went by another name: The Heartsong.
She was the child of fairy magic, the physical manifestation of all fae kinds unbridled power. Cosseted and pampered, she grew up in isolation, never knowing who she really was, or why there were those who’d seek to harm her. 
Ewan of the Blackfoot Clan is a wolf with a problem. He’s been sent to kill the Heartsong, but the moment he lays eyes on the blonde beauty he knows he’ll defy the evil fae he works for to claim Violet as his own.
This is the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf, as it really happened...


"She traced the curve of his lips. "My, what big teeth you have."
Ewan snapped them at her. "The better to eat ye with, my dear."

I have read the first two and the fifth book of this series which I have enjoyed which I thought that maybe this would be the same but it just fell flat to the others I've read.

I'm not a huge fan of these covers but I do prefer them over the other versions. I do like the hint of colour as it matches the title as well as a running thread in the story.

The first half of this book wasn't good as I really didn't think I would continue with it but I'm glad I kept with it as by the end I was really enjoying it. The first half was just a lot of confusion with not much going on in the romance or action I was pretty much bored. Once there was some chemistry going on between the two main characters I felt it then started to make it more interesting wanting to see if she finally let go of her past and be with him.  I do think that the reason why I couldn't grasp the story was because it was too short so there didn't seem to be any reasoning behind things that was happening until the end and then everything was rushed to get things sorted out.

I think that out of all of the books I have read in this series these two main characters are my least favourites especially Violet. Although there was a reason why Violet was the way she was but because of those reasons she was hard to warm up to. Ewan was the better character out of the two of them as he was always there for Violet even when she kept pushing him away.

Overall I found this review hard to do as I have enjoyed this series but this one just doesn't live up to them.

"Ewan. She trembled, he'd found her. Saved her. Love you. Love you so much, she thought over and over even as she poured more and more death into him."