3 July 2014

Book Review: A Safe Space by E.M. Tippetts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22021413-a-safe-space
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Buy: Not available at time of review

Format: Kindle (earc)
Publishers: Indie
Published: Mid July 2014
Pages: n/a
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Lizzie, Devon
Date Read: 24th June - 28th June 2014
Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg


Synopsis:
Everyone needs a safe space.
For Lizzie Warner, that space has always been in front of the camera on her hit show, or on stage to a sold out concert arena. Since before she can remember, she’s been a star, but that may be about to change.
She’s nineteen. Her show has been cancelled and now she’s going to play the lead in a new prime time drama series, but is the world ready to take her seriously, or will she be typecast as the cute tween queen forever?
Her network has decided to be aggressive and has invested millions of dollars in an ad campaign for her show, money she’s not sure she can earn back. Her co-star can’t stand her, and the writing for the show turns out to be poor at best. The only reason Lizzie didn’t walk away from the job offer to begin with is because she’s broke, the victim of a decade of bad money management.
Then there’s Devon, the personal trainer at her gym. Arrogant and abrasive, he’s the last guy she should ever find attractive, but she has a hopeless crush on him anyway, and he doesn’t seem entirely disinterested either. In fact, sometimes he’s downright sweet to her. If only he weren’t an untamable bad boy who uses and dumps women like they’re nothing. Though Lizzie’s friends warn her to stay away, he’s the only person who can create what she needs: a safe space. But is there any way she can break him of his years' long habit of being a user?

I imagine a shimmering force field around the set, which is of the living room of my character, Jess. As I step across it I imagine everyone else being pushed away. I'm in my safe space now, where I am in control.

I had joined Emily's mailing list a while ago now so when there was an email asking if anyone want to review this book I jumped at the chance as I have enjoyed all her books that I have read and this one sounded just as good...

I must say out of all of her book covers this one has to be my favourite. I love the use of colour (which ties in with the story) and I also love the patterns down the side as they really do add something extra to make the book stand out to me.

As soon as I started this book I was addicted to it I just didn't want to stop reading it and when I had to put it down I just kept thinking about what was happening and what was going to happen next. There was times when I was thinking that this was going to be five star rating but there was just a couple of things that made me go for the four star rating. I felt that the romance side of the story wasn't very believable at the beginning as it felt like the love came a bit out of the blue but towards the end I started to see where it was coming from I also didn't feel like there was any real chemistry coming from the both of them it seemed a bit one sided for the most part. I loved that this wasn't just about romance but it was about the celebrity world and as well as illnesses which isn't always portrayed in books. I absolutely adored the ending as it was so sweet and it was a few years later which as you will know from other reviews that's a huge plus for me.

For me I felt like Lizzie was a bit too perfect as she didn't seem to have any faults and she was always thinking of other people before herself and she was so sweet. I really did feel sorry for her as even though she was this famous child star in the past she still found it hard to get anywhere plus I felt like a lot of people walked all over her and she just let them. I really liked Devon at the beginning but there was times when I found him to be a bit of a jerk but in the end we do find out why he acted the way he did so I was able to like him again.

Overall I found this to be a sweet book that was very much an addicting read even if there was things that happened that I didn't like.

I'm done running from this because I love you and I know I can trust you with my heart... if you want it. Although honestly, it's yours whether you want it or not.