9 October 2015

Book Review: Providence (Providence, #1) by Jamie McGuire

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 13th January 2011
Pages: 485
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal Romance, 
Main Characters: Nina, Jared, Ryan
Date Read: 27th September - 1st  October 2015

Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg

Synopsis:In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth. 
Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.
When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.

I've had Providence for a long while now and after loving her Beautiful Disaster series I knew I had to give her other series a read and I'm glad I did as I did enjoy it but it just wasn't as good as the BD series...

I must say this cover is really creepy and I really do like it but I just don't feel like it has anything to do with the story as I didn't find the book creepy or even scary yes there was a bad things happening but I didn't feel it was that bad. So I was expecting something a lot different to what I got based on this cover.

This book started off amazing as I loved every minute but then something (one) started to bug me more and more. Although during those moments did bug me there was also moments during those time when it was as good as the beginning. The paranormal side of the story I really enjoyed especially when we found out what that person was as then everything made more sense. I loved the growing feelings between the two main characters but I do feel as though it was a bit rushed and at times unbelievable but I did like them together when they didn't listen to people around them or even think about anything. I didn't like the love triangle as it felt a bit forced and a bit of an after thought as one minute Nina loved Jared but then she was told something about Ryan so she started to all of a sudden have romantic feelings for Ryan as well. I felt like the action scenes where also a bit rushed but what little there was of those action scenes I did enjoy as it made the book entertaining. I liked the ending as it felt finished and even though there are more in this series I don't feel like I have to rush out and get the next book but I know I will continue the series soon as I am looking forward to seeing what is going to kick off next.

It was really one character that annoyed me which was Nina. She started of a strong character who had loads going on but she was still standing but the further I went into the book I slowly but surely she started to grate on me. I hated the way Nina tried to get Jared's attention and even when she found out why he had to keep away from her she still wouldn't listen and put herself into dangerous situations which I felt was stupid. I loved Jared he has to be one of my favourite characters even though in the beginning when he kept changing his mind but after we found out about him I got a better understanding of why he was the way he was and I loved him all the more. I loved all the other secondary characters as I felt they where great additions to the story.

Overall, the actual story was really good but it was the main female character that let this book down but I won't let that put me off reading the rest of the series.