25 October 2015

Book Review: Strength (Mark of Nexus, #1) by Carrie Butler

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US 

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 16th August 2013
Pages: 389
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal Romance, 
Main Characters: Rena, Wallace, 
Date Read: 8th October - 15th October 2015

Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg

Synopsis:
**Winner of "Best New Adult" and "Best Series" in the eFestival of Words - Best of Independent eBook Awards**When college student Rena Collins finds herself nose-to-chest with the campus outcast, her rumor-laced notions are shattered. Handsome, considerate, and seemingly sane, Wallace Blake doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, screaming and banging on the walls of his dorm room. Hell, he doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, period.Too curious for her own good, Rena vows to uncover the truth behind Wallace’s madman reputation--and how two seconds of contact had left her with bruises. Of course, there are a few setbacks along the way: guilt, admiration, feelings of the warm and fuzzy variety…Not to mention the unwanted attention of Wallace's powerful, supernaturally-gifted family.They’re a bloodline divided by opposing ideals, two soon-to-be warring factions that live in secret among us. When Rena ends up caught in their crossfire, Wallace has no choice but to save her by using his powers. Now they’re really in trouble. With war on the horizon and Rena’s life in the balance, he needs to put some distance between them. But Rena won’t let go. If fighting is what it takes to prove her own strength and keep Wallace in her life, then that’s what she’ll do--even if it means risking a whole lot more than her heart.(Upper YA/New Adult)

I've had this for a while for review and then recently I got myself a finished copy that was free on amazon at the time.

I kind of like this cover, I'm not too sure on the guy on the front as he doesn't scream Wallace. I do like the background and the colours used as they make the cover stand out. I also love the font of the title which also makes this particular cover stand out.

The first half of the book I actually wasn't a fan of as it just dragged and I hated that I didn't know what on earth was going on. It wasn't until the second half that I fell in love with Strength, it had so many things happening in a short space of time with so many twists and turns. I found myself obsessed with Strength to the point that even when I had to put the book down I was still thinking about it. The romance side of the story was a little bit of a slow burner but I think that made for their feelings more realistic than if they fell in love the minute they met. The second half of the book was where their feelings started to really bloom and I just loved them together even when they where just friends. I loved the paranormal elements in this book as it was unique to what I've read before I just wish it wasn't all explained right at the end. There was a lot of action that happened in the end of the book that had me on the edge of my seat. The ending sure left me wanting more and I can't wait to get my hands on book 2.

I did love most of the characters but there was a few that I was 100% sure on though. Rena was a great female character although she did start of a little annoying but the more I read about her the more I found her endearing and the more she didn't play the damsel in distress was a huge plus. Wallace was such a great character and I felt so sorry for him especially when I find out how much those rumours hurt him. Even though Cole is hard to trust it wasn't until he appeared in the book that the book actually started to blow me away. I wasn't a fan of Rena's friends as they where so annoying and to me wasn't actually true friends.

Overall, this could have been an amazing book if it started off the way in which it ended.