23 May 2012

Book Review: Torn

Torn by Stephanie Guerra



Format: e-arc
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Published: 15th May 2012
Pages: 272
Main Characters: Stella, Ruby
Date Started: 17th May 2012
Date Finished: 23rd May 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Netgalley:

Stella Chavez is your classic good girl: straight A's, clean-cut boyfriends, and soccer trophies. You'd never guess that Stella's dad was a drug addict who walked out when she was a kid Or that inside, Stella wishes for something more.New girl Ruby Caroline seems like Stella's polar opposite: cursing, smoking, and teetering in sky-high heels. But with Ruby, Stella gets a taste of another world, a world in which parents act like roommates, college men are way more interesting than high school boys, and there is nothing that shouldn't be tried once. It's not long before Stella finds herself torn: between the best friend she's ever had and the friends she's known forever, between her family and her own independence, between who she was and who she wants to be. But Ruby has a darker side, a side she doesn't show anyone, not even Stella. As Stella watches her friend slowly unravel, she will have to search deep inside herself for the strength to be a true friend, even if it means committing the ultimate betrayal.

I actually can't remember why I wanted to review this book but seeing as I needed to read it before it was archived I thought I better start it and I'm kind of glad I did as it was something that was completely different to what I usually read which is something I should do more often.

Although I can't remember why I wanted to review I think it might have had something to do with the cover which I love just because of the simplicity of it usually I like covers that are more obviously beautiful but not this time.

I do like the style of writing that Guerra uses it's very easy to read and explains everything in enough detail so that I know what is actually happening around them. There was something off about it though but I'm not sure whether this is because of it being an unfinished copy but throughout the book people would be saying things but you wouldn't actually know it was spoken out loud as there was no quotation marks around the sentence which did get very annoying (if anyone has a finished copy please let me know if it's the same or if it was just down to it not being finished).

This book was more about real life and it's issues for the younger generation. There was so many issues throughout this book that made me want to find out how they was going to get resolved. It was nice to have a rest from all the action packed books as this was a quick book to read especially with the short chapters and it was also interesting in a non-action kind of way. There was parts where I was laughing out loud and also parts that was moving which I nearly cried at these particular scene's. I did find that there was a few things that did go unsolved which was a shame as it could have maybe gone up a rating. It was a sweet ending though which I was pleased about.

The characters I kind of liked but at times I did want to shake them. Stella was the best character who has to put up with a lot with her family and her personal life but because of that it makes her more likable. The choices that she had to make where so hard and I'm not sure I would have the guts to make the same choices. With Ruby I'm not sure about she seemed like a good enough friend but at times she was very selfish. There are things that happened to her in the book that I don't think was resolved enough especially with the drugs.

Overall a good book about strong issues that I would recommend for people who want a quick but not so light hearted read.

2 comments:

  1. Is this book a standalone or a series? That's the only reason I would think for unresolved things in a book, because that would bother me too.

    It sounds like an interesting read and maybe one I'd try to pick up in the future.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a stand alone at the minute.

    ReplyDelete