19 March 2013

Book Review: The Deepest Cut (A MacKinnon Curse #1) by J.A. Templeton

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 27th June 2011
Pages: 306
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Riley, Ian
Date Read: 22nd February - 27th February 2013
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

 
Sixteen-year-old Riley Williams has been able to see ghosts since the car crash that took her mother’s life and shattered her family. Guilt-ridden over the belief that she’s somehow responsible for her mom’s death, Riley is desperate to see her mother’s elusive spirit to gain her forgiveness.

When her father moves the family to Scotland so they can all start over, Riley believes her life couldn’t get worse––that is until the ghost of nineteen-year-old Ian MacKinnon catches her purposely cutting herself. An uneasy truce quickly turns into friendship, and soon Riley’s falling hard for Ian.

Riley believes her gift could help Ian end the curse that has kept him tied to the land for centuries, but that would mean letting him go forever and she’s not sure she is strong enough to do that. As if her life wasn’t complicated enough, the spirit of the woman who killed Ian returns and she’ll stop at nothing to keep Riley from helping Ian find eternal peace.

 

I got this free from Amazon when I got the one before this and seeing as I loved that one so much I wanted to read this a lot sooner than I thought I would but I'm glad I did as I loved this even more than the one before it.

 The thing that really draws my eye to this cover is the way the T has been used in a way that matches what the title is saying. That is the only thing I love about this cover the rest is nice enough just similar to most books out there.

From the moment I started this book I fell in love with it, it just had me hooked. I loved the different take on ghosts the good and the bad as it kept me interested to find out what happened next. There was also a part of the story that was sorted out in this book which did surprise me as I thought that would be the main storyline through out the series but I don't mind and it just has me even more intrigued to see what happens next. The romance of the story was great it was so sweet and believable. This book did have me on a bit of a roller coaster ride as there was moments when I was laughing, smiling, awwing and even crying and i loved every dip in the ride. The ending I loved as it was left on a cliff hanger but a bearable one.

I loved all the characters in this book even the bad ones as without them it wouldn't have been half as interesting. Riley seemed a bit depressed for most part with her blaming herself for the death of her mother and her cutting herself I really felt for her. Ian I loved from the previous book and this one was no different. I loved his relationship between him and Riley it was very touching and he was there for her when she needed someone.

Overall a great ghost story that I would recommend everyone to read it as it's a brilliant read.