16 July 2015

Book Review: Rule (Marked Men, #1) by Jay Crownover

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Harper
Published: 23rd May 2013
Pages: 435
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance, 
Main Characters: Shaw, Rule
Date Read: 23rd June - 28th June 2015

Rating Given:
 photo fourfive.jpg

Synopsis:Sometimes opposites don’t just attract – they catch fire and burn the city down
Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight-A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want – and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercing and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.
To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess – and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw – even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.
But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love…or each other.

I have nothing but great things from this series so of course I had to try it out for myself, and those reviews are not wrong it was a great book.

I don't like this cover as it just looks plain for my liking and the colours used are a bit too dull. I prefer the new cover it stands out loads more than this one does. I don't even see the model as Rule as I don't think he looks like Rule is described yes he has tattoo's but he is supposed to have loads more as well as facial piercing.

From the moment I started Rule I knew I was going to like it as it captured my attention straight away and it never stopped. I would have given it the full five stars but I have read some other five stars this year that are the best ever books that I have read and this book just doesn't have the same feel. The romance was hot so much so it felt like their chemistry sizzled off the pages even when Rule didn't want to see it. They where such a cute couple and had great banter that had me smiling away to myself. Not only was this a romance book but it was heavily focused on family and not just happy families (if any). I liked the whole grieve side of the story and how different people grieve which at times did come across side but that was to be expected but there was tender moments as well. There was a few things that was predictable but there was also twists that I didn't expect. I loved the ending as I felt like Rule's and Shaw's story had come to an end but there was a couple of little things that was left unsaid but I think that has set up the next books.

There was quite a few characters that I didn't like (I think that is how we are meant to feel about those certain characters) but there was also quite a few characters that I loved which was mainly their friends and Rule's brother. I really liked Shaw as she was a little firecracker that didn't care what people thought of her as long as she got what she wanted to say off her chest. I didn't think I was going to like Rule especially after reading the synopsis but the more we got to know him the more I couldn't help but love him.

Overall I was not disappointed in this book and a great start to an author I hadn't read anything by until now and I know for sure it won't be my last plus I need the next book in the Marked Men series like yesterday!