11 March 2014

Book Review: Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback (Review)
Publishers: Hodder
Published: June 2014
Pages: 368
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Thriller, Mystery
Main Characters: Sam, Carson
Date Read: 1st March - 6th March 2014
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg

Blurb:  
What if you had the chance to start again...but only if you promised never to look back? Samantha is popular, rich, and seemed to have it all...until the night she and her best 'frenemy' Cassie disappeared and only Sammy resurfaced, with no recollection of who she is or what happened. Sammy's a stranger in her own life - a life she no longer wants any part of. Losing her memory is a chance to start again. Then Sammy begins receiving mysterious notes warning her about that night, urging her to not look back. But she can't let it go. As she starts poking around in her past she begins to remember...and something sinister begins to surface.

I am so thankful to Hodder for sending me a copy of this book for review as I loved every minute of it.

When I first saw that us in the UK have a different cover to America I was gutted as I loved the American version. It wasn't until I read the book that I felt ok with the cover as it is in keeping with the book so much so it looks like it could be a part of a scene in the book.

This book was such a compelling read that even when I flicked to the last page to see what happened (yes I do that) I still thought it was someone else who hurt Sam I was that drawn into it. I haven't read many thriller genres but the couple that I have (including this one) I have loved I should really try more thrillers and I haven't read any of Jennifer's books that wasn't paranormal and I still loved it. I loved everything about this book the way in which we got learn everything the moment Sam learnt something new. I loved all the twists and turns that you will never see coming especially when you find out who did it. Even though there wasn't a huge focus on the romance side but what we did have was so sweet and I just wanted them to be together from the moment they was in the same space. It was great to see that it was also about learning who your true friends are which I thought was a great addition. I felt the ending was perfect in the way it wrapped things up but then still made it believable in the way that not everything was perfect in her life.

I loved most of the characters although not all of them was good. Sam was a great character but she wasn't always that way as before her accident she was completely different and it just goes to show what you can do differently if you had another chance. I loved that you never really know if she is a sane person yet you feel so sorry for her. I also liked that even when things got difficult she never gave up. I absolutely loved Carson he was so understanding and very forgiving and for most part so sweet. Her brother Scott was definitely one of my favourite characters as he was so funny but he also had a caring side and he always looked out for Sammy just like Carson. There was a lot of mean girls in this story who wasn't very nice but that was how Sam was before everything had happened to her. I really didn't like Del he was so annoying and you just know he was lying about his relationship.

Overall if you love Pretty Little Liars this one is for you as it is surrounded in mystery that you will never know what to think.