25 March 2014

Book Review: Playing With Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Mira Books
Published: 1st January 2011
Pages: 384
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Belle, Rome
Date Read: 16th March - 23rd March 2014
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg

Blurb:
Twenty-four-year-old barista Belle Jamison dreams of a better job and a decent love life. Until a crazy scientist spikes her mocha latte! Suddenly Belle can wield the four elements--earth, wind, fire and water--with only a thought. Coffee too hot? No problem. Hair in need of a blow-dry? Done.Gorgeous government agent Rome Masters has been sent to neutralize Belle. But he's not the only one after her. Together they must outrun the rogue agents on their trail and find a way to control her powers. There's just one problem: the sparks Belle and Rome generate are even hotter than the ones flying from her eyes--and with her future on the line, now is the worst possible time to fall in love....

I only bought this at the beginning of the month but with it being a Gena Showalter book I knew I couldn't wait a moment longer, plus I had been after this book for years but could never find a copy but it was well worth the wait.

This is the more updated book cover which I am so pleased I bought as this one far outshines the original book cover. I love the fact that it is in keeping with the book and even with the title. I also love the use of colours as the use of orange and blacks give the effect of fire which I felt shined when I looked at it from the corner of my eye.

I decided I needed to read a Paranormal Romance book as for what seems like ages I haven't read an amazing Paranormal book so who better to read that a book by Gena Showalter! Showalter has done it again and made me fall in love with the world that she created and gave me a much needed Paranormal Romance boost. As soon as I started this book I was completely drawn into this book and I couldn't wait to read the next chapter. I loved the different take on the paranormal as for most part (that I know of) was not born what they where but created which so different to me in a book but in film I would say its along the lines of X Men which I love. The attraction between the two main characters was sizzling so much I could feel it through the pages. I felt the ending was perfect as there was no huge cliff hanger and if I find the second book as hard to find I won't feel like I'm missing out on something.

Most of the characters in this book was great the only ones I wasn't a fan of was the bad guys which goes without saying. Belle is one of my favourite ever female characters as she was such a strong and independent person that gave as good as she got, but she was also the funniest female character ever as I was in stitches with some of the things she came out with (or did). Usually the male characters are my favourite characters but in this case Belle wins which was a huge surprise to me. Even though Rome wasn't my favourite in this book I still loved him. There was moments that I wasn't quite sure to trust him but in the end him very trust able as he did a very selfless thing that had my heart in my mouth. Tanner was a close second favourite in this book as he was hilarious but there was times that had me feeling sorry for him. I would have loved to have seen more from Tanner.

Overall I absolutely loved this book and I look forward to reading the next book in this series or any book by Gena Showalter for that matter!