4 March 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Harper
Published: 15th November 2011
Pages: 338
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Dystopia
Main Characters: Juliette, Adam,Warner
Date Read: 23rd February - 28th February 2014
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg

Blurb:
I have a curse.I have a gift.
I'm a monster.I'm more than human.
My touch is lethal.My touch is power.
I am their weapon.I will fight back.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

I can't remember getting this book I just know that I have had it on my book shelf for such a long time now, I wish I had never taken so long to read it as I loved it. Although with taking awhile I can now buy the books to finish the series.

My copy is the old international copy which I am a bit gutted about as now the rest of my series won't match. I do like both versions of the cover but I'm not sure which is my favourite as it changes every month. I love the use of colour in this cover as I am a sucker for black and white also what you don't see in the picture is that it has a metallic finish to it making it shiny.

When I first started this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it and that wasn't because of me not liking the story it was mainly to do with the style of writing. In the blurb is how it is written with the strike through's which was very hard not to discard them as they was important to how she was actually feeling but as soon as I got used to that it was easy to read. I loved the slow build up of what was happening which doesn't always happen for me but I was addicted to this book from start to finish even when there wasn't much going on in the beginning. The romance side of the story was also a slow build up but again I loved it and kept thinking when they was going to realise how they felt. There wasn't any major cliff hangers which was good as this book felt like a build up for what is coming next which has got me very excited to find out.

I loved most of the characters and the characters that I didn't like was ones that wasn't actually in the book but we heard a lot about them. Juliette was a great character although at first I thought she was going to be a very weak person but the more the book went on the more she grew into herself. What I liked was that for most part of the book we didn't even know what she looked like and I didn't even realise. I did really like Adam as he seemed sweet, caring and understanding but he felt a little too good to be true. Even though Warner came across as the bad guy I still seemed to really like him as there was some things that made me think about why he is the way he is and he honestly thinks he is doing a good thing. Kenji was one of my favourite characters as he was so funny and I love that in characters.

Overall once I got past the very different writing style I fell in love with the world that Tahereh Mafi created.