13 March 2014

Book Review: Existence (Existence, #1) by Abbi Glines

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle 
Publishers: Wild Child Publishing
Published: 13th December 2011
Pages: 161
Genre: Young Adult,Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Pagen, Dank, Leif
Date Read: 8th March - 11th March 2014
Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg

Blurb:
What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.
Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.
Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.
Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.
He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.

With this being an Abbi Glines book of course I had to get especially when it was really cheap. I was a little disappointed with this one as it wasn't as good as all the other Glines books that I have read.

I do love this cover and my eye is immediately drawn to the guys eyes as they are so mesmerising. My favourite part of the cover is the font used for the title as it's different to other books. The only thing is that there's a new cover for this series but thankfully it's just as eye catching.

Usually with Abbi Glines books I am immediately hooked but for this book that just wasn't the case. It wasn't until about halfway through when I started to get drawn into the world that she created it definitely was addicting from then on. There was also a lot of things that I just didn't understand but I think that this could have been because of the length of the novel as it was very short so things was just left out. I loved the paranormal side of the story, it wasn't unique but it was an interesting take on the whole ghost/soul thing. I felt that the romance side of the story was a little forced which was a huge surprise from Abbi she has always done such great romance stories. I did like the ending as there was no huge cliff hangers, yes there was a lot of things that went unresolved but nothing I couldn't wait to find out.

I kind of had a love hate with some of the characters especially the main female character Pagen. There was times when she seemed nice but then other times she seemed very selfish and very judgemental. Leif was for the most part an ok character but he just seemed too good to be true. I really liked Dank (although the name wasn't the best) he tried to do what was right even if it hurt Pagen but there was times when I wanted to slap him upside his head.

Overall I was disappointed with this book but there is hope for this series as it wasn't all bad, I just hope that the next book is a lot better.