12 March 2014

Book Review: The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy, #1) by Terra Harmony

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle (Review)
Publishers: Patchwork Press
Published: 7th November 2013
Pages: 271
Genre: Young Adult,Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Main Characters: Serena, Kai, Liam
Date Read: 1st March - 7th March 2014
Rating Given:
 photo twofive.jpg

Blurb: 
Fifteen-year-old Serena is the youngest member of a dying race. The increasing acidity of the ocean is destroying her home, slowly eating away at the once thriving underwater landscape. But since the night of Serena’s birth, it is an outside force that most threatens their dwindling population. Werewolves, who once served as protectors for mermaids in the Kingdom of the Undine, now seek to eliminate all who dwell in the ocean — and Serena is about to find herself right in the middle of the deadly conflict.
Given the title of Werewolf Liaison, Serena is determined to make things right for her people. When she ventures to The Dry, she meets Liam, the werewolf with hazel eyes, and her whole world gets turned upside down. As Serena discovers the real history between werewolves and mermaids, she is left wondering who her true enemies are.

I received this book from netgalley ages ago and I have only now decided to read it and now I do realise why it had taken me so long.

This is a very pretty cover, I especially love the use of colours. I love that it is also in keeping with the story and that I know what it's about.

It took me such a long time to get into this book as nothing much was happening and the things that did happen left me feeling bored. It wasn't until over half way through when I got into this book but even then it was a continuous love there was still times that left me feeling bored. I really do love the concept of this story and maybe if it was less confusing and more believable then maybe I would have loved it as much as what I thought I would. The paranormal side I loved as I have never read a book that involves just Mermaids and Werewolves it was great to see a different side to these paranormal creatures. The romance side of the story was very much lacking in that department as it just didn't seem real and very much rushed it was like it was a second thought. I kind of liked the ending as it did leave me wanting to know what was going to happen in the next two books but I still didn't feel the love.

I think one of the main reasons why I didn't get on with this book was that I never really warmed to any of the characters as they was all annoying and for the most part selfish. There was a few that I kind of liked but still no love which is very rare for me as I almost always fall in love with one of the male characters but not this time.

Overall there was parts that I kind of enjoyed but for the most part I just couldn't get into it which is such a shame. I don't know if I will read the rest of the series because I would feel like it's a chore to continue but I would like to find out what happens.