20 March 2014

Book Review: Private Air by Billie Bates

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle (earc)
Publishers: Indie
Published: 2013
Pages: 192
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Sienna
Date Read: 12th March - 16th March 2014
Rating Given:

 photo two.jpg

Blurb:When Sienna Harris joined the Australian Air Force as a flight attendant for the Prime Minister, she thought she’d hit the glam-job jackpot. But three years of weapons training, outback destinations, and a cheating fighter pilot fiancé, and she’s realized it’s not so fabulous after all. Time to embark on a new adventure, this time to the prestigious world of international VIP aviation. Sienna and her best friend leave behind their small-town lives for a glitzy career flight attending on a Saudi prince’s private jet. Money, parties, designer clothes, and exotic locations fill the job description, while the sexy pilot, Ted, makes it hard for Sienna to obey the “no fraternizing” rule. But even the most opulent of journeys can hit turbulence. Sienna’s boss, the appearance-obsessed chief stewardess, issues diuretics and Botox with the uniforms and catering orders, and the prince is a man who’s never told no. Underneath its lush appearance, could this desert oasis be more of a muddy puddle? The Devil Wears Prada meets Pan Am in this fun frolic to the glamorous side of air travel, inspired by the author’s own experience as a VIP flight attendant in Saudi Arabia and Europe.

When I came across this book on netgalley I thought it sounded like a quick and fun read but for me that just wasn't the case. 

I like this cover as it feels like summer colours which always look stunning. I love that it is an illustrated cover as it they was able to keep it so it looked like it came straight from inside the pages.

As soon as I started this book I just knew I was going to have trouble with it and I wasn't wrong. It was so slow and uninteresting that I really wanted to stop reading it and the only reason why I continued was because I am doing a birthstone challenge and I don't have many colours for this month so I knew I had to finish it so I could complete this months challenge. I was expecting to be laughing out loud with this one but that wasn't the case, there was times that I thought was a little funny but not enough to laugh out loud. I did like one of the issues raised in this book as it was the only thing that seemed believable in today's society. Don't even get me started on the romance side of the story as it wasn't believable and I couldn't believe that she went with him even after what happened to her. What really saved the book was towards the end when some really interesting things that happened which I really wanted to find out what was going to happen next. I felt the ending went back to not being interesting and it didn't have any real closure which I found really annoying.

I couldn't warm to any of the characters apart from one secondary character (can't remember his name I think it might be Luke) whom I really wanted in the book more than a couple of moments. Sienna was an annoying character that didn't seem to care about anybody but herself. I thought she was going to be a strong character but in the end I found her to be a hypocrite and someone that gives in to peer pressure very easily.