1 July 2012

Book Review: Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini


(May contain spoilers)

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: Macmillan
Published: 5th July 2012
Pages: 503
Main Characters: Helen, Lucas, Orion
Date Started: 24th June 2012
Date Finished: 28th June 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Goodreads:


Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds expectation.
I kind of liked Starcrossed so when I had the chance to review the second one I thought I would give it a try as everyone says that you should give a series a chance and I'm glad that Macmillan (big thank you to Macmillan for sending me a copy) gave me a copy to review as I did like it.

This cover is very similar to the first cover which I loved but I do this cover isn't as good. The reason why is the people on the cover they just don't look right but that is the only fault I see in this cover. I love the colours on this cover as they look very dramatic and very much in keeping with what is going on within the story.

This is only my second book that I have read that was written by Josephine Angelini and I think it's the second book that she has had published too. What I think Angelini does well in her books is the build up of tension as she did that with the first one and this second one. Although I do like the build up I do feel that it was a bit too slow this time around as it took me a long time to actually get into the book. She is also very good at writing a very addicting series as once I got into this book I really couldn't put it down as I wanted to find out what was going to get thrown at the character's next. I do love her take on the Greek Gods, it's not something I have actually read many of but I do think she does a great job.

Like I said the start of this book was very slow and very confusing as I just didn't know what was going on. I think a part of that reason was because I couldn't remember what went on in the first book although there is a bit of a recap which was very much needed. There was a lot of things happening a few things I thought was predictable but then other things that happened just threw me which I like not being able to guess what is going to happen before it actually happens. The ending was so much better this time around as in Starcrossed I felt it was more of an abrupt ending rather than a cliff-hanger but this time there was a bit of a cliff-hanger which I didn't mind as it has left me wanting more from this series but at least it didn't end abruptly. This book did seem a little depressing with the things that was happening with virtually no light relief but I actually didn't mind this as it made it more entertaining in a way that I never expected.

I liked the characters in the first book and I liked them in this one just as much maybe even more. Helen was just the same as before but this time I did feel like she was thinking about everyone else not caring about the effects it was having on herself. Lucas seemed to be a lot more angrier in this one but I do understand where his anger was coming from. I felt so sorry for Helen and Lucas who obviously love one another but can't do anything about it. We was also introduced to a new character called Orion and I really did like him as he seemed sweet but with an edge. I think we will be seeing more from him and the love triangle that has happened between these three characters in the next book.

Overall this book was a bit confusing to start with and it was also very slow but once you get over those tiny bumps in the road it was a very addicting and entertaining book.