8 July 2012

Book Review: Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly #1)

Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly #1)


Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: Quercus
Published: 5th July 2012
Pages: 341
Main Characters: Trinity, Chase
Date Started: 4th July 2012
Date Finished: 7th July 2012
Rating Given: ****

Blurb from Goodreads:

Upon the death of her grandmother, Trinity arrives on her aunt's doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. Dropped into high school, she is trying her best to fit in, but there is something about her, connected to the mysterious city and her parents death, that makes her different.

When a game of truth or dare in a deserted New Orleans house gets out of control, Trinity starts to see things; twisted visions of the future that she tries to suppress. But all too quickly the dreams accelerate – terrifying images of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader goes missing, Trinity has to decide whether to step forward with what she's seen: a tough choice when the police are desperate for a suspect and she's falling in love with the missing girl's boyfriend.

Nothing prepares her for the dark odyssey that ensues, the surprising romance she finds along the way, or the shocking truths she learns. Not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her, and the future that awaits.

I had seen this book on a couple of blogs which got me interested in the book and then when I found out what it was about on Goodreads I just knew I had to try and get a review copy of this book. A big thank you goes out to Quercus publishers for agreeing to send a review copy to me as I found it a thoroughly entertaining book that I just couldn't put down.

The cover isn't that eye catching I would say with the title right in the middle in huge font as well as being embossed is what catches my eye the most. Also the tagline below the title was what got me intrigued about this book. I do live the little patterns that are around the cover as it make the cover look a little less creepy. As for the rest it does have a creepy feel to it in the expression on the girls face as well as the creepy looking houses which all have a part to play in the actual book.

This is Ellie James debut novel and it was kicked of by the start of a new series called the Midnight Dragonfly. This was a great start to what I think will end up being one of my favourite series especially if it carries on in the same manner. James has created a brilliant new world where not everyone is who they seem. I did get a bit confused at the writing style of James as at one point one thing would be happening but the next minute something completely different would be happening without explaining what went on in the middle.

Even though it was jumpy at times I still fell hard for this book and was very close to rating it 5 stars as I was very addicted I just couldn't and didn't want to put it down. There was always something going on in this book and I never knew who I could trust and at times that even went for the main character Trinity. I also loved that I never knew what was going to happen as it kept me guessing throughout the book. Shattered Dreams is definitely an on the edge of your seat book and I loved it!

With Trinity I found was a nice enough character but I found she was lacking a bit of grit that I have come to like in my female characters I would have preferred her with more fire in her belly but I guess that is because she doesn't really understand who she is, so I am hoping that within the next books she will grow into a more feisty character. As for Chase I loved him to start with and to be honest with you I am not entirely sure why but love him I did. Well that was until nearer the end I felt a bit let down by him. I wish we saw more of Dylan as he was only in it for the last part of the book but I do think he will have a bigger part to play in the coming books as I think there could be a bit of a love triangle between Trinity-Chase-Dylan. By the end of the book it was Dylan I liked the most as he was the most intriguing character that I can't wait to find out more from.

Overall a brilliant start to this series as it was like a roller coaster ride, one that I didn't want to stop.