15 July 2012

Book Review: Otherkin (Otherkin #1)

Otherkin (Otherkin #1) by Nina Berry


Format: e-arc
Publisher: K Teen
Published: 31st July 2012
Pages: 320
Main Characters: Desdemona, Caleb
Date Started: 28th June 2012
Date Finished: 12th July 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Netgalley:

Sixteen-year-old Desdemona Gray doesn't even bother with crushes on cute boys now that she's forced to wear a hard plastic back brace all day.  What guy would want to literally have to knock on a girl to be let in?  So she squashes down every impossible desire until an uber-awkward brush with a boy brings out all her frustration and she changes...into a tiger.  In that bewildering moment, she is captured by Ximon, the leader of a fanatical group hell-bent on wiping out the five remaining tribes of shape-shifters, known as the otherkin. 
With help from a handsome, mysterious fellow captive named Caleb, she escapes and goes on the run, finding allies and learning the truth behind the legends of wizards and were-creatures.  Then Ximon goes too far, and Dez must tap into all her buried desires to find her inner tiger and save herself, her new friends, and the boy she loves.

When I read the synopsis on Netgalley I thought it sounded interesting so I wanted to give it a try. I am glad I did give it a try as in the end I found it a likable read although not as interesting as I first thought.

The cover I am not too sure about as too me it does look a bit cheesy but I do kind of like it because of the colours that have been used. I also like the fact that the cover matches what the story is about which I love when a cover can portray a storyline with just a few images. The title's font is good because of the extension of some of the letters makes the title stand out.

This is my first book that I have read of Nina Berry and I believe it is also her debut novel which I think is a promising start to her career. I love the way she describes everything in such detail as I was able to actually picture what was going on in the story.

Although I did enjoy the story by the end it did take me awhile to actually get there as at the beginning there was far too much going on which usually I like but in this case it was too much as I got so confused to what was happening. It also took me awhile to get into and because of that I found myself putting off continuing to read it which is why I felt like I was reading it for ages. Once I got halfway through I found that it settled down and even though there was still a bit going on it wasn't too much making it a more enjoyable read.

As for the characters it again took me awhile to warm to them but like the actual story I found by the time I finished the book I cared about them and what happened to them. Desdemona was a likable enough character but I didn't really get much about her but I guess she didn't get herself either so maybe I was feeling what she was feeling. Caleb I kind of liked from the start but there was times that I wasn't sure whether he was going to turn. I didn't get the instant attraction between these two characters but again by the end I loved their interaction and some of the things that what said to one another had me smiling.

Overall this book took me awhile to get into but once I did I found it a cute read and I am looking forward to continuing on with the series.