23 July 2012

Book Review: Revived

Revived by Cat Patrick


Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Published: 2nd July 2012
Pages: 326
Main Characters: Daisy, Matt, Audrey
Date Started: 17th July 2012
Date Finished: 20th July 2012
Rating Given: ****

Blurb from Goodreads:


As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger—and more sinister—than she ever imagined.
At first I did want this book because of the (American) cover but then when I read the synopsis I knew it would be a very interesting read.

I do like this book cover as I love the grey of most of the background but the hair is a yellow so it does stand out. There isn't really anything that would give away what this book is about within the cover but for me I would say that the hair being in colour suggests that there is some light to come to the character.

This is my first time reading a Cat Patrick novel and I now know it won't be my last. Patrick was able to create an emotional read which nearly had me in tears which is hard to do in a book. The only reason why I couldn't give this book the full five stars was because it was a bit too sad for me in places which I couldn't really cope with.

There is a lot of twists and turns in this book that I for one didn't expect which made this book an entertaining read which had me hooked right from the start. Even though I knew that this was about a girl who has died 5 times I still didn't expect it to be as sad as what it was and I felt down while reading the book. I kind of liked the ending but I would have liked to see more into the future as I think this is a stand alone so it would have been nice to see what actually happened to some of the characters.

The characters I liked. Daisy was a sweet 15 year old and by the end of the book I felt she had grown as she had a lot to deal with especially with some of the revelations that she stumbled across. I really liked Audrey's character as she was a strong person but I won't say anything else about her as it would be a huge spoiler. Matt I really liked he was so sweet but at times I felt so sorry for him. Daisy and Matt I didn't quite get the instant connection but by the end of the book I loved them and was routing for them.

Overall this is a book that you need to be in the right frame of mind as it will have you in tears. A very powerful read.