18 October 2012

Book Review: Mystic City (Mystic City #1)

Mystic City (Mystic City #1) by Theo Lawrence

 
 
Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Corgi
Published: 11th October 2012
Pages: 397
Main Characters: Aria, Hunter, Thomas
Date Started: 10th October 2012
Date Finished: 17th October 2012
Rating Given: *** 1/2
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.

 

For me the moment I saw this cover I wanted to read it so I was very happy when Corgi (Random House) kindly sent me a copy for me to review (Big thanks to Corgi) I just wish I loved the story as much as I did the cover.

I love this cover and I have even done a Book Talk post about it. I love the way it looks mystical as it matches the title and even the actual story.  There is nothing that I don't like about the cover.

This book has the whole Romeo and Juliet romance going on which I loved that part of the story even though for most of the story I'm (and Aria) not sure who is the Romeo of the story. I found it a very confusing book but this is because Aria is also confused as she has no memory of what is happening which in turn makes for a very confusing book. Even though I understand why the book is confusing, I just couldn't get past it until things started to get cleared up which didn't really happen until close to the end. Once things started to get cleared up it became such a thrilling read that I just didn't want to put it down. I love that there is so many twists and turns I never quite know who is the good guy it led to some shocking moments. I liked that this was a dystopian novel with a paranormal twist which I wasn't expecting.

It took a while to actually like Aria but once I got to know her better she grew on me and I think she will continue to do so in the next book. To begin with she seems like your typical spoilt rich girl but I soon learn she has some hidden depths and she will fight for what she believes in. Hunter I liked from the moment he entered as he was such a strong character especially with the thing he has and is going through. I can't really say much else about the other characters without giving the story away but what I will say is that not everyone is who they seem which makes for (sometimes) an exciting read.

Overall once you get past all the confusion it's not a bad book and I am looking forward to see where the story takes us next.