21 October 2012

Book Review: The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy #1)

The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy #1) by Mark Frost

 
 
Format: E-ARC
Publishers: Random House
Published: 25th September 2012
Pages: 560
Main Characters: Will
Date Started: 2nd October 2012
Date Finished: 18th October 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

Will West is careful to live life under the radar. At his parents' insistence, he's made sure to get mediocre grades and to stay in the middle of the pack on his cross-country team. Then Will slips up, accidentally scoring off the charts on a nationwide exam.

Now Will is being courted by an exclusive prep school . . . and is being followed by men driving black sedans. When Will suddenly loses his parents, he must flee to the school. There he begins to explore all that he's capable of--physical and mental feats that should be impossible--and learns that his abilities are connected to a struggle between titanic forces that has lasted for millennia.

Co-creator of the groundbreaking television series Twin Peaks, Mark Frost brings his unique vision to this sophisticated adventure, which combines mystery, heart-pounding action, and the supernatural.

 
I wanted to read this as soon as I saw it on Netgalley as it sounded like an intriguing book and I wasn't wrong.

The cover I was not a big fan of as I didn't get it but now that I have read the book I understand it that bit better. I don't like that there isn't much going on I think it needed something to make the book stand out.

From the moment I started this book there was a lot going on but by the middle it got a little too much so much so I got a little bit lost. Although I did loose my way during the middle of the book it did slow down towards the end which was more like the beginning which I was happy about. This book is a very different book one that I haven't read this kind of story before. Even though this was a unique take on a sci-fi/fantasy genre I just didn't find it believable enough which is a shame as I think books need to be believeable no matter what kind of book it is. The ending also left me guessing as well as wanting more and I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next. I did like that I never knew what was going to happen next and there was a shocking thing that happened at the end that I just didn't see coming.

There was quite a few characters but only one main character who was called Will. Will is a very clever boy but always had to hold back which I think was the reason why it took a little while to warm to his character. The more the book went on the more we found out about him and all these new things he found out about himself made him a stronger person. I didn't find him a believable character like other books that I have read. He was told a list of rules by his parents in which he had memorized and we get to see them and how he uses them in different situations. The only thing about these rules was that they wasn't in any order and we didn't get to see them all but what I didn't know was a list of the rules was at the end of the book which I think should have been at the beginning so that us readers know they where.

Overall there was a lot of thing happening in this book but sometimes it was a bit too much but apart from that it was an intriguing book well worth a read even if it is a bit too long.