28 September 2011

Book Review: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner #1)

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Chicken House Ltd
Published: 2nd August 2010
Pages: 371
Main Characters: Thomas
Date Started: 2nd August 2011
Date Finished: 5th August 2011
Rating Given: ***


Goodreads:
When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas remembers is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade - a walled encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible stone maze. Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there - or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything - even the Grievers, half-machine, half-animal horror that patrols its corridors, to find out.

I have wanted to read this book for awhile now as it was recommended to me as well as it was said that if you liked The Hunger Games (which I did) then you will love The Maze Runner.
Although I did find some similarities between The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner, for example it was mainly about the children being able to see if they can survive on their own I just didn't like this book as much as The Hunger Games. It took a long while to get into the story and when I did I didn't understand some of the language that was used as they would use a word for different reasons so I couldn't keep up with what was going on. Which was a shame as I did like the story once halfway through. I liked the suspense throughout the book (once it got going that is) I just wanted to know if they where ever going out and who the bad guy was but am still not really sure who they where which you will probably have to read the rest of the series to find that out.
It was hard to figure out which was my favourite character as if one was being good they could turn bad and vice versa. I did like Chuck however as he was so sweet and caring and the kind of friend you do with in this kind of situation but Thomas wasn't always nice to him which I didn't like. I would have liked to have found out more about Teresa she seemed nice but wasn't really in it until nearer the end.
I did like this book even if it was a bit confusing but because of that I am not sure if I will or even want to continue with the series.