24 September 2011

Book Review: Unearthly (Unearthly #1)

Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Egmont UK
Published: 2nd May 2011
Pages: 435
Main Characters: Clara, Christian and Tucker
Date Started: 1st September 2011
Date Finished: 5th September 2011
Rating Given: ****

Goodreads: 

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

This is Cynthia Hand's debut so I hadn't know what her book would be liked but I found I was drawn to it because of the beautiful front cover, the description and I had also heard a lot of good things from this book so I just had to try it for myself and I wasn't disappointed.
As soon as I started this book I found I already was starting to like it and a few chapters into it and I was hooked I just had to find out what was going to happen next which a part towards the end with Christian surprised the hell out of me. I just didn't see it coming which for me is great as usually you know what is going to happen to a certain degree but that one I didn't but that could just be me! There was also other things that I was guessing at but I got them completely wrong which I am pleased about as it just kept me reading and well guessing.
I loved the different take on the Angel's lore as it is different take on Angels to most Angel books (that I have read anyway) I found it rather intriguing.
Clara was nice enough I did find her a bit shallow but she did have some depth to her which made her more likable than what she could have been. Tucker I loved , his character was so likable as he was funny which I find the best trait in characters which makes them more relatable. With Christian I didn't really like him as he really was shallow and cocky but not in a funny way like Tucker there was times however when he showed a better side which I liked maybe in the next book we might see more of that side of him.
The only reason why I didn't give the book the full marks in which it did actually deserve was because of the ending which ended in  a bit of a rush it should have maybe had a few more pages so it wouldn't have been as rushed.
There was a cliffhanger which the more books I read the more I am liking the cliffhangers as it makes me want to read the next book all the more I just wish that they came out quicker.
Overall Cynthia Hand's debut was a great way to start and I can't wait to read more from her and not just in this series but in others that are sure to come.