16 October 2011

Book Review: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Razorbill
Published: 23rd August 2011
Pages: 421
Main Characters: Sydney, Jill, Adrian and Eddie
Date Started: 9th October 2011
Date Finished: 16th October 2011
Rating Given: ***


Goodreads:
The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
When I first heard about there being a spin off to Vampire Academy I was very excited to get my hands on a copy even if it did take me longer than I would have wanted, however I felt a little bit let down.
It took ages to get into as it was so slow, most of the characters got on my nerves. Maybe this is because of how much I loved Vampire Academy as it had to be compared to it and because of that it just didn't match up.
I knew what was going to happen before they did in the book which I found annoying as I like to be kept on the edge of my seat but I just didn't get it with this book until towards the end when all the action happened. I thought there was going to be more romance in the story than what there was but I guess that could be coming in the books to come.
I did love the cross over with some of the Vampire Academy favourite characters especially at the end but I am not going to give that away but it looks good for the next book.
I am glad that Adrian is in this book as he was one of my favourite characters from Vampire Academy. He was just as he was in the VA books which I am glad about as this was how we all got know and love him for.
With Sydney I just was not sure about her character she was a bit annoying and dull for the female lead. Although there was times that she showed a different side to her and am sure I will get to like her in the books to come.
Jill was also a bit annoying but I guess that could be from what has happened to her.
I liked Eddie and I would have loved to have seen more of him though but we did get to him more in this book than what we saw of him in VA.
There was flashes of brilliance but it was just flashes but maybe the next book will be better. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

  1. I understand how you feel completely. I had high hopes for Bloodlines (because of VA) and it just didn't live up to my expectations. Here's hoping the next one is a little more action-packed (and that Sydney is a little less dull)! Check out my review of Bloodlines here!

    ReplyDelete