24 November 2012

Book Review: Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Spencer Hill Press
Published: 18th October 2011
Pages: 281
Main Characters: Alex, Aiden
Date Started: 20th November 2012
Date Finished: 23rd November 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.
 

This was my first book that I brought of Jennifer's but I started The Lux series first but once I started that series and loved it I knew I had to get a move on and read this one and I'm glad I did as I loved it.

This cover is stunning and it's one of my favourite covers. I love the patterns and the flower as well as the colour as it stands out. Now that I have read the book I can see where this would come from although it's not a huge point of the story it still ties in nicely.

To start with I was a little confused as to what was going on and also I found it hard to pronounce some of the words. There was a guide at the beginning for some of the words which I liked as I was able to know how those words where pronounced unlike other books which do this at the end, there was still some words I wasn't sure on though. Even though I was confused the book did start of with a bang and there was always something going on which I loved to see. There was also some forbidden romance thrown in for good measure which I can't wait to see how things turn out on that front. I did feel like this book was very similar to Vampire Academy which in turn made it a bit predictable. Although I found it similar to VA I actually preferred Half-Blood as I wormed to it quicker than VA. Also I was told that was the case so I was expecting it and I'm not sure I would have noticed it straight away. This book definitely played with my emotions as there was some very sad scenes but also there was some funny scenes which I loved about Half-Blood.

 
Alex was a very strong and feisty female character which I love to see in the female lead role. I loved her sense of humour. There was also a softeer side to her which was also nice to see as it made her more relatable. I loved Aiden he was such a great male character that as soon as he was introduced to him I fell for him. I also really liked Caleb he was such a great friend to Alex and it was nice to see their friendship bloom through out the book. Then there was Seth who I am not sure what to think of him as he seemed like a funny guy but also the bad guy which I love but this time I preferred Aiden.
 
Overall the start of this series sure packs a punch and I loved it and I'm looking forward to see where the whole story leads to in the coming books.