8 November 2012

Book Review: Twilight (Twilight Saga #1) by Stephenie Meyer

 
Format: Paperback
Publishers: ATOM
Published: 23rd April 2007
Pages: 434
Main Characters: Bella, Edward, Jacob
Date Started (reread): 4th November 2012
Date Finished (reread): 8th November 2012
Rating Given:
 Photobucket
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret. What Bella doesn't realize is that the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back ...
 

When I first read this book it was back when the films had yet to be released and I was watching E News! and they where talking to the cast. It sounded like a good film so when I found out that it was a book I had to try it first and I loved it. I loved it so much that I read it again straight after I had finished it. Ever since then I have had a love/hate relationship with this book but with the last part coming out soon I thought I would give them another go and I'm glad I did.

The cover I do love especially with it being simplistic however the cover has nothing to do with the book so I don't get why this particular cover was used. The cover is now very iconic and inspired a scene in the film but I wish it tied in with the book.

The first time I read this book I rated it 5/5 but now that I have read loads more books that I love even more I thought it would be best to lower the rating to 4.5/5 not much I know but I still love it nearly as much as before. Now that I have read other books I now know that I love a bit of action but this is where this book is lacking I would say this is closer to just a romance book than paranormal not that I mind as I do love a romance I just needed more. I am very much addicted to this book as before seeing as I just wanted to read this book and not the others that I was also reading which I was surprised at as one of the other books that I was reading is another one of my favourites. I am glad that I reread Twilight as there is some scenes that isn't in the film that I love in the book so it was nice to revisit them.

With the characters I am still very much team Edward but again after reading other books I have found that I prefer a bit of a bad boy and even though Edward is a vampire I would in no way say he is a bad boy. Bella is just plain weak compared to other female leads and I would even say she is selfish. Jacob we don't get to see much of in this book but I still enjoyed the parts the parts that he was in. Emmett was never my favourite character in the books but I loved him in the films but I thought that was down to the actor but now that I have reread the book I realize I love his character as I found myself smiling at some of the things that he said so I can't wait to reread the rest of the series just to see the funny side to Emmett.

Overall I can now see the weak points to Twilight but I can forgive them as I just love the romance side of it. I will also be very grateful to (the first time I read it) Twilight as since reading it, it had given me back the love of reading.