28 November 2012

Book Review: Phoenix by Jennifer Mason-Black

Format: ebook
Publishers: Musa Publishing
Published: 11th May 2012
Pages: 45
Main Characters: Tucker
Date Started: 27th November 2012
Date Finished: 27th November 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


Would you recognize hope if you looked into its eyes?

At sixteen, Tucker has nothing but the clothes on his back, the bruises on his ribs, and the truth about what happened between him and the band teacher. He left home looking to escape his memories, but all he’s found on the road are new bad ones to take their place.

Then he meets Gabriel, a beautiful hustler, and Kelsey, a fire-obsessed girl with a head full of fairy tales. After Gabriel rescues him from a pair of drunks looking for a fight, Tucker’s happy to join him in the abandoned factory he calls home. All he must do in return is help keep Kelsey safe.

But Kelsey’s not what Tucker thinks she is, and safety isn’t what she needs from him. To help her, he’ll have to face the secret he’s been running from, and the flames she’s running to find.

 

This is another Musa Publishing book that I have read and it's another one that was enjoyable. I am really pleased that I am giving books that I normally wouldn't know about a try.

I love this book cover  as it's simple yet very eye catching. I love the feather which does tie in with the story and I also love the colours of it as it makes it stand out. I love the patterns that are also on the cover as this was needed other wise it would have been too plain.

Phoenix was another short book for me which I did enjoy but it was a bit too confusing for me. I was immediately drawn into this story and wanting to find out what was going to happen next which it was like that throughout the book even the end I was still left wanting more. For most of the book I just didn't understand what was happening as it seemed to start at the end and then went into the story and then went back to the end. I do think this story would have been better if it was longer so that things could have been explained better. I loved that Mason-Black told some very heartbreaking issues but it was tackled in a honest way which I don't think is done enough.

As well as the story being confusing some of the characters was also confusing as I didn't know where they where coming from. Tucker was a nice character who had been through some very tough times yet he was still standing which makes him a strong person. It did take a few pages before we actually knew his story though which was a bit annoying. Kelsey was the most confusing character as I didn't understand who she was but then again neither did Kelsey it wasn't until the end when things got cleared up a bit but I still wanted to know more about her. Gabriel was a mystery that even when the book ended I am none the wiser I just didn't get his part in the story.

Overall a very hard hitting, and gripping book that just needed explaining a bit more.