30 December 2012

Book Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Mira Ink
Published: 5th October 2012
Pages: 260
Main Characters: Dash, Lily
Date Started:24th December 2012
Date Finished: 26th December 2012
Rating Given:
 Photobucket
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you dont, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

 

 I have been after this book for a while now and I was really happy that I was given it for review from the lovely publishers at Mira Ink and yes I enjoyed it but I was a little disappointed.

I love the cover as it just looks like a photograph from a moment in time which I find very eye catching. I love that the title looks like a street sign and it fits in well with the rest of the cover.

To start with I was really enjoying this book but I felt once it got to the half way point it started going down hill. The beginning was cute and fun and I loved where the story was leading too. I found myself laughing out loud for most of the book even when it started going down hill. I didn't like the first meeting of Lily and Dash as it just didn't feel right or even believable. There was also other things that happened which was unbelievable. I was very much disappointed with the ending as I felt that there was a lot of unanswered questions making me feel like there should be another book but I don't think there is. I think that this book would be better suited as a film which I wouldn't mind watching.

The characters was alright but I didn't like them all the way through. Dash seemed like a smart guy but he wasn't that likable throughout the book but there was times when I did like him. Lily was alright but there was times when she would act like a spoilt brat. I only got the chemistry between them when they hadn't met but once they did I just didn't believe it. The side characters was a lot more interesting especially Boomer he was so funny and really sweet too.

Overall the beginning was really good I just wish the ending was as good but it just fell a bit short for me.