16 December 2012

Book Review: First Frost by Liz DeJesus

Format: ebook
Publishers: Musa Publishing
Published: 22nd June 2012
Pages: 274
Main Characters: Bianca
Date Started: 6th December 2012
Date Finished: 13th December 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

Fairytales aren’t real…yeah…that’s exactly what Bianca thought. She was wrong.

For generations, the Frost family has run the Museum of Magical and Rare Artifacts, handing down guardianship from mother to daughter, always keeping their secrets to “family only.”

Gathered within museum’s walls is a collection dedicated to the Grimm fairy tales and to the rare items the family has acquired: Cinderella’s glass slipper, Snow White’s poisoned apple, the evil queen’s magic mirror, Sleeping Beauty’s enchanted spinning wheel…

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Frost wants none of it, dreaming instead of a career in art or photography or…well, anything except working in the family’s museum. She knows the items in the glass display cases are fakes because, of course, magic doesn’t really exist.

She’s about to find out how wrong she is.

 

When asked which books that I wanted to read from Musa Publishing this book stood out the most as it sounded like a book that I would love and I wasn't far wrong.

I love this cover as the blue is very eye catching. It also reminds me of a mixture of a looking mirror and frost which is very fitting for this story.


When I first started this book I wasn't actually sure that I was going to enjoy it as nothing was happening and everything was very much mundane. When Bicanca found out her and her families history it did start to pick up and it built up to a brilliant story that I very much enjoyed. When things did get better I found that there was a lot happening and enjoyed everything that was happening and kept me entertained. There was a bit of romance that was done in a way that had me gripped from the moment it started I would have liked to have had a bit more but only because I enjoyed it. I love the twist on the fairytale classics that we all know and love it brought out the inner child in me even if this was aimed for the Young Adult genre.
 
I thought the characters where very entertaining. Bianca started out going about her life not knowing who she really was and it was great to see her change once she found out. Her best friend was really sweet and very trusting which everyone needs. Terrence was a great male character and another sweet person who I really did feel for him. The Prince was really funny and reminded me of the Princes that are in the fairytales. Bianca's parents where great and it was nice to see that they wasn't evil like in most fairytales and even most other books that I have read.
 
Overall I found it a captivating story once it got started and I can't wait to read more from this author.