2 December 2012

Book Review: League of Strays by L.B. Schulman

Format: arc
Publishers: Amulet
Published: 1st October 2012
Pages: 288
Main Characters: Charlotte, Kade, Nora, Zoe, and Richie
Date Started: 28th November 2012
Date Finished: 1st December 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

This suspenseful debut follows a group of teenage misfits in their delicious quest for revenge on those who have wronged them at their high school. When a mysterious note appears in Charlotte’s mailbox inviting her to join the League of Strays, she’s hopeful it will lead to making friends. What she discovers is a motley crew of loners and an alluring, manipulative ringleader named Kade. Kade convinces the group that they need one another both for friendship and to get back at the classmates and teachers who have betrayed them. But Kade has a bigger agenda. In addition to vandalizing their school and causing fights between other students, Kade’s real intention is a dangerous plot that will threaten lives and force Charlotte to choose between her loyalty to the League and her own conscience.
 

I found that the plot intrigued me which made me really want to read this book so I asked if I could review it and I am thankful for the publishers who sent it out to me.

I'm not fond of the cover I have seen far better covers but I can't think of anything else that could have been used instead.

I really though I would really enjoy this book but I found it a bit lacking of any interest and i was very disappointed. I am actually writing this review and thinking what to write and it's one of the hardest reviews that I have written. I guess I will start with the good which are that it kept me guessing what was going to happen next but the end was a bit predictable. I felt that this book did have promise as it dealt with some major issues I just don't think they was dealt with in a sensitive manner. Also there was a couple of moments when I thought it was going to pick up and enjoyed those moments but it just wasn't enough. I felt that there was parts that missed a few details as some of the next chapters jumped to another day which did get confusing. There was times when I was literally cringing at the things that was happening. It just wasn't wrapped up well enough for me.

With the characters I never really felt anything for them and I felt that they should have dealt with bigger consequences than what they did do. Charlotte seemed alright but she was easily manipulated by everyone that she was surrounded by. I also didn't like that she felt the need to exaggerate her getting bullied it just didn't sit right with me. Kade was the bad boy but what surprised me was I didn't like him as there was no charisma to him and was surprised how he got people to do his bidding but then again he is a very good manipulator. Zoe was my favourite character in this book she would have been a better lead character as she had more hidden depths to her. Richie was another good character and I wish he was in it a bit more. Nora I thought I was going to like as she seemed very smart but in the end she was the most unclever person and she was just annoying.

Overall I didn't really get on with this book but there was glimpses of a good book.