24 April 2012

Book Review: Candlewax


Candlewax by C. Bailey Sims




Format: e-arc
Publishers: Terabyte Press
Published: 3rd April 2012
Pages: 384
Main Characters: Cathrine, Pokos, Bessie, Cyril
Date Started: 16th April 2012
Date Finished:  22nd April 2012
Rating Given: *****

Blurb from Netgalley:

A medieval masterpiece of adventure, romance and horror, readers will gobble up this award-winning debut.
An Ancient Prophecy. A Powerful Relic. An Insatiable Evil. When all three converge, the fate of every living thing will be in peril.
All her life Catherine had hoped to see a fairrier cat. No book, no scroll provided to her by her tutors had ever mentioned this legend, much to her frustration, and now-at the worst possible time-she was getting her wish. Only, in her wish the cat wasn't about to kill her.
A 732-year-old fairrier cat the size of a horse has killed his fair share of hunters. Driven to the brink of extinction for the supernatural powers of his coat, is he indeed the last of his kind?
Sheltered, 16-year-old Catherine is about to find out. Unwitting heir to the Ancient Onyxes, she flees an arranged marriage only to stumble upon the cat's secrets, the force of the ancient relic she wears, and the dangerous mission they must undertake.
Hidden under a desert that was once a fertile land, millions of predators are waiting to feast again. Catherine must discover the secret of the Ancient Onyxes and stop the creatures known as trodliks before they consume everything in their path. A whispered prophecy becomes her only guide and a rejected suitor just might be the one warrior she desperately needs.
For readers ages 12 and up.

I received this as a galley from Netgalley. I wanted to read this one because I love the look of the cover and it also sounded interesting. It did actually take me awhile to read it as from time to time I go off the books that I origanally wanted to read but then I noticed that time was running out so I best read it and I am glad I did as it was a brilliant read.

A great original read that will have you on the edge of your seat. I would recomend to anyone who loves The Inheritance Cycle or The Chronicles of Narnia to read it you won't be dissapointed.

When I first started the book I thought oh here we go again a book where I can't pronounce the words but if you look at the back or the end of the galley you will find a list of how to pronounce words. I like it when the authors tell us how to pronounce things as it makes the book so much easier to read. Once you get over this it's very easy to get into it's one of those books that you just don't want to put down. I read two books at a time but while reading this book I didn't want to read anything but this book. I just loved everything about it. There is so many twists and turns in it that keeps you guessing right until the end.

This book is so beautifully and well written that I am able to visualize the world that she has created. I could imagine this book to be a film and I think it would translate well too.

I was surprised how well Catherine coped with everything as she is a Princess so therefore is used to getting things done for her. Yet she was able to run away on her survival skills that I wouldn't have thought she would have. It probably helped that she did have other people and creatures around her that would have no doubt help her. At first I thought she was a spoiled brat that didn't like that she was not getting her own way but by the end I found her a great and entertaining character. Cyril I loved from the get go. He was funny but a strong and powerful King at the same time. I loved his interaction with all the characters especially Cathrine.

Overall an epic book that won't leave you until long after you have finished it.

2 comments:

  1. I have actually never heard of this particular book but it looks amazing!!! I will definitely have to add it to my TBR list :) Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance please step over and check out my blog; I am new to the book blogging world!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    (New Follower)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kate for reading Candlewax and for the awesome review! I am glad the cover pulled you in. Bloggers are so important in spreading the word. Keep fanning those flames!

    ReplyDelete