1 April 2012

Book Review: Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

Format: e-arc
Publisher: NLA Digital
Published: 8th March 2012
Pages: N/A
Main Characters: Peyton, Chris/Chase
Date Started: 25th March 2012
Date Finished: 1st April 2012
Rating Given: ****

Netgalley:
Can true love survive the end of the world?
Imagine finding your first love, only to be ripped apart by the apocalypse. Peyton Anderson will never forget the day she was forced to make a choice--between her family--and Chris Parker, the boy she'd given her heart. And now, four years later, as she steps from the fallout shelter and into a dead and broken world, he's the only thing on her mind.

All Chris "Chase" Parker wanted was to take Peyton away and keep her safe from harm. But he waited for hours in the rain on judgment day and she never showed--breaking his heart without ever telling him why.

Now the two of them have been thrown together once again, reluctant chaperones of a group of orphan children in a post-apocalyptic world where the dead still walk...and feed. As they begin their pilgrimage to the last human outpost on Earth, can they find a way to let go of old hurts and find the love they lost--all the while attempting to save what's left of the human race?

This book had two different settings one was set in the year 2030 and the other setting was 2034. Each chapter switches between the two years. At first I was so confused as it was four years later skipping a lot of information with a lot of differences the main one being there isn't really any adults mainly children and the rest of the population is made up of zombie's which used to be the people they once knew and loved. I couldn't understand how this had happened but then it went to the next chapter which went back to 2030, this happens throughout the book and in time explains everything had happened. It does take a while to get used to that but once you do I found it a very enjoyable read I just had to figure out which year it was when I first go back to read some more but again you get used to the goings on that it's easier to understand.

I loved the mix of zombie's and the romance as well as some much needed action. There was always something going on which kept me wanting more. I think I could have done with a bit more action and zombie's as sometimes it did start to drag in places. There was also twists and turns that I for one was not expecting which I love to be surprised by a book as it's better than it being predictable although I did guess one thing but I was alright by that as I wanted it to happen.

Peyton's character I liked as she was a strong person as well as a good fighter. There was a time at the very start of the book that I thought she was a bit shallow but by the end of the book she had a bit of depth to her.

Chris started of as a sweet and gentle guy known as the geek but he also changed into nearly a completely different guy with a different name Chase. He ended up being a strong fighter and he even buffed up but with the zombies and other things that he had to go through it made him mean and even turn to drugs but by the end he was the sweet guy I knew and loved at the beginning although he will never be the same but to me that doesn't matter he was still a great character.

I felt that this book was a bit too short and could have done with a few more thing clearing up that got missed and with it being a stand alone book we might never find these things out maybe if it was longer these thing could have got cleared up.

Overall I enjoyed this book and I would definitely read more from Mancusi I just wished that it wasn't as confusing as it was at the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm seeing this one around a lot lately. It sounds pretty interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete