7 April 2012

Book Review: Gift

Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan

Format: e-arc
Publishers: Open Road Media
Published: 27th March 2012
Pages: N/A
Main Characters: Daisy, Danielle, Vivi, Kevin
Date Started: 2nd April 2012
Date Finished: 5th April 2012
Rating Given: ***
Netgalley:
High school sophomore Daisy Jones is just trying to get by unnoticed. It doesn't help that she's the new girl at school, lives in a trailer park, and doesn't even own a cell phone. But there's a good reason for all that: Daisy has a secret, unpredictable power-one only her best friend, Danielle, knows about. Despite her "gift" (or is it a curse?), Daisy's doing a good job of fitting in-and a cute senior named Kevin even seems interested in her! But when Daisy tries to help Vivi, a mysterious classmate in a crisis, she soon discovers that her new friend has a secret of her own. Now Daisy and her friends must deal with chilling dreams and messages from the beyond. Can Daisy channel the power she's always tried to hide-before it's too late? Extra features include:
  • A short graphic novel illustrated by Alexis Seabrook, telling Vivi's story
  • Danielle's journal, revealing her deepest thoughts

I stumbled across this book whilst looking what to request on Netgalley and it sounded like an interesting book. Although I wasn't a huge fan of the cover (usually what attracts my attention on netgalley) I requested it anyway and I am glad I did.

There was always something going on in this book all though not all of it was understandable. For most of the book I wasn't sure whether I actually believed what was going on as it seemed more like little children with an overactive imagination. Don't get me wrong I do read a lot of books like this and I love them but this one just seemed too unbelievable like they was just making it up for the attention.

There was times when I was really into the book that I didn't want to stop reading it as I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next and to see if any of it was true.

The characters was alright but I just couldn't get attached to them so I didn't care what was happening to them. I can't even remember how old they was supposed to be they seemed to act like 12 year old but I think they was supposed to be older. They all seemed nice enough most of the time but there was times when they was being mean to each other but by the end I found out the reason and understood.

I really loved the ending it seemed to be just that the end which I like in a book as I don't like lose ends especially if they are supposed to be stand alone books which this one is.

There was also some extra bits that I thought was a great addition to the story as we were able to see what the other characters was thinking and even going through where as the rest was from Daisy's point of view. Also there was some illustrations which I though was beautifully done and gave me a more vivid picture of what was going on.