15 April 2012

Book Review: Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls #1)

Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls #1) by Tiffany Truitt


Format: e-arc
Publishers: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Published: 12th June 2012
Pages: 260
Main Characters: Tess, James
Date Started: 7th April 2012
Date Finished: 15th April 2012
Rating Given: ****

Blurb from Goodreads:


What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival?Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.

Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger.

But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?

When I first came across this book I thought it sounded and looked good so I knew I had to read it. So a big thanks goes out to Entangled Publishing for giving me the opportunity to review this book as I really enjoyed reading it

I actually started out not liking this book and thinking not another Dystopian book that just doesn't work for me. It was so confusing to start with and I just didn't know what was going on which did take a while for things to actually to sink in and get what was happening. Also it was a little slow paced but by the time I got to the end I start to realize things was happening from the beginning I just didn't realize.

Once I did get into the book it was a completely different story for me as I was so enthralled that I just wanted to read the next chapter before putting it down. Even when it was put down I would still be thinking about it, thinking what is going to happen now?, How will they get out of this predicament. I even dreamt about the world that Tiffany Truitt created! That's just how well Truitt has written this book that I can actually visualize this world.

To start with I wasn't that keen on Tess's character as she seemed too selfish however, by the end of the book I was rooting for her which I think is down to the fact we learn more about her character with each chapter and it made me understand the way she was. I loved James he was different to the other Chosen Ones he was sweet and gentle and would do anything for Tess. He was also a strong fighter and would try and protect anyone he could. I just hope he stays that way through out the series. I did feel sorry for him at times especially when Tess was mean to him. The chemistry between them both was sizzling it really did pop out of the book.

Overall a slow and confusing start but a strong and powerful ending I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next.

2 comments:

  1. Great Review Kate.
    I loved this book. Already pre-ordered the paperback as I just have to have it on my shelf. I loved it. Can't wait to find out what happens. I hope they find a way to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! Hope to check this one out when it's released!

    ReplyDelete