19 January 2012

Book Review: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier #1)

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: 4th October 2011
Pages: 342
Main Characters: Megan, Adam, Aine, Caitlin, Rian, Fionn and Caleb
Date Started: 12th January 2012
Date Finished: 18th January 2012
Rating Given: ****

Goodreads:
Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.


When I first heard about this book I was really excited about reading it but then when reading reviews for it a lot of them was bad so I got nervous about reading it. In the end I thought I would give it a try as I might have liked it and I didn't I loved it.

I loved the setting of this book as Ireland is one of my dream places to live and I haven't read a book that was set in Ireland before. I could really imagine the place that she lived in as it was beautifully described. I think the reason why it's described so well is that Leigh Fallon lives in Dublin Kinsale which is where it's set. I have read other books set in the UK and Scotland but these authors are usually from America so I don't feel they have the description of the setting right unlike Fallon.

I think this is Fallon's debut book and it's such a brilliant start where will she go from here I hope she just gets better and better.

This book I do feel like it's similar to The Twilight Saga but this time with magic. I still love it and Twilight.

Megan's character was a good one but not the best I have read. She is quite similar to Bella's character in Twilight in the way that she lives with her Dad which she has moved into a new time where she gets obsessed with the Deris family which everyone did at first but the family kept to themselves so everyone just left them alone (there is more  but it will give away some of the plot). The biggest difference and the best is she is more feistier and has more of an opinion which was the main flaw in Bella. I am looking forward to see how Megan will cope with her ever growing powers.

I loved Adam's character but I don't think he was in the book enough so I am hoping we will get to see him some more in the coming books. I love the way he is protective of the ones he loves. He is a strong and powerful lead guy which I love in my leading men!

The relationship between Megan and Adam was great to see I am looking forward but nervous to see how there relationship will change throughout the series.

I love the magic elements of this series as I haven't read much about magic unless they are Wizards or Witches so it's a refreshing change to not even mention the term Witch/Wizards.

Overall a great start to what I hope is going to be a great series, can't wait to read the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate!

    I like you're review about this book.
    And with your review he comes on my to-read list.
    Thanks!

    Mariska

    ReplyDelete