19 January 2012

Book Review: New Girl

New Girl by Paige Harbison

Format: e-arc
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publishes: 31st January 2012
Pages: 304
Main Characters: New Girl (not going to spoil that for you) and Becca
Date Started: 7th January 2012
Date Finished: 18th January 2012
Rating Given: ****

Netgalley:
A contemporary young-adult retelling inspired by the classic 1938 romantic suspense bestseller Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
They call me 'New Girl'...
Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.
Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.
Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend…but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.
And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.

When looking on Netgalley I came across this book and I thought it sounded good so I just had to give it a try.

With this being a retelling of the classic novel 'Rebecca' I wasn't quite sure what to expect with never reading the novel which I am glad about as I may have never tried it as it's not my usual kind of book that I would read. I haven't even read Harbison's previous novel so I didn't really know her style of writing so it really was a new novel for me to try and I am glad I did.

It started off a bit slow for me and I thought I was not going to like it but once I got a few chapters into it, it really started to pick up and by the end I had fallen in love with it I just wished it started off as strong as this would have been a five star book.

The other thing that stopped it from being a five star was the ending it just didn't sit right with me as for me it didn't wrap up everything that I would have liked to have known.

I loved the way you never new 'New Girl's' name until right at the end it actually got me thinking that I had just forgotten it until I realised we was just not told.

'New Girl' character was a very strong character as the way she gets treated at her new school is awful but she handled it so well and with dignity I really felt for her. I wish we got to see her happy side as it always just seemed to go wrong for her. She deserved so much better than what she got.

Becca's character is very manipulative with everyone thinking she is the be all and end all when really she is just a unhappy spiteful character.

I loved the mystery surrounding Becca's disappearance it really did keep you guessing right until the end which I think it's great to have a book with a bit of suspense it makes you want to continue a book. You can imagine that this is what would happen in real life if something like this happened which is also a good thing.

I this novel would make a great film or TV show I just think it would translate well and I would love to see it happen.

Overall a slow start but a great book.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Very cool, I love re-tellings! Although I'm weary about the slow start :-/

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally.)

    ReplyDelete