17 February 2012

Book Review: Glow (Sky Chasers #1)

Glow (Sky Chasers #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Published: 13th September 2011
Pages: 307
Main Characters: Kieran, Waverly
Date Started: 9th February 2012
Date Finished: 16th February 2012
Rating Given: ***

Goodreads:
What if you were bound for a new world, about to pledge your life to someone you'd been promised to since birth, and one unexpected violent attack made survival—not love—the issue?

Out in the murky nebula lurks an unseen enemy: the New Horizon. On its way to populate a distant planet in the wake of Earth's collapse, the ship's crew has been unable to conceive a generation to continue its mission. They need young girls desperately, or their zealous leader's efforts will fail. Onboard their sister ship, the Empyrean, the unsuspecting families don't know an attack is being mounted that could claim the most important among them...

Fifteen-year-old Waverly is part of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space; she was born on the Empyrean, and the large farming vessel is all she knows. Her concerns are those of any teenager—until Kieran Alden proposes to her. The handsome captain-to-be has everything Waverly could ever want in a husband, and with the pressure to start having children, everyone is sure he's the best choice. Except for Waverly, who wants more from life than marriage—and is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth.

But when the Empyrean faces sudden attack by their assumed allies, they quickly find out that the enemies aren't all from the outside.

I first wanted to read this book because of the front cover (not this one) and then I saw quite a few great reviews so I knew I just had to try it and I am actually glad that I did even if I didn't like it all the time.

It took a while to get into but I think this was down to the language used as I just didn't get it at first. Also it took a while to be told why they was actually on this journey I would have maybe liked to have heard about this in maybe a prologue first instead of not understanding for quite some pages.

There was a lot of things that was going on which I liked as it kept me interested in the book. I have decided that I like thrilling books and most of this is quite thrilling as you never know what is going to happen next or even who you can trust, as at one point you think you can trust a character and then all of a sudden they can just flip.

I really liked Kieran he was such a sweet guy he always thought he was doing the right things but then everyone would turn on him, I felt so sorry for him. I did feel like he would have been better suited as a female character because I am not used to seeing my male lead character's being so gentle and very emotional which I kind of get because of the things he has gone through. I felt very protective of him and hated it when everyone turned on him. I also felt he was too good for Waverly there was just something not quite right with there relationship!

At first I quite liked Waverly she seemed like a nice, independent girl. She never gave in she was always fighting for hers and the other girls survival. There was a scene with Waverly that did make me very squeamish that I really didn't like but that just has to do with my phobia of needles (makes me squirm just writing the word). Then towards the end I just stopped liking her altogether as I just hated the way she was with Kieran. I know she went through a lot but she didn't understand that so did Kieran! I couldn't believe the way she believed what was said about him and I dread to think how this is going to unravel in the following books.

I hated Seth's character although there was times when I understood why he acted the way he acted but in the end a lot of the characters would have been going through the same kind of things and they didn't act the way he did. I think he has a very evil side to him which I think could come out more in the next books.

I do think Waverly is better suited to Seth as Kieran would be too easy for her to walk all over him and I think Kieran could do way better. I actually think he would have been better suited to Felicity.

Overall I enjoyed all the thrills and spills but I am not sure about how believable the characters are.

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually the other way around to you. I really enjoyed Waverley's character but I wasn't really keen on Kieran (or Seth for that matter). I found myself zipping through her chapters and forcing myself not to skip through his. Funny that we're opposites there!

    I've dropped by to let you know that I've tagged you. It's a little hard to explain in a comment, but if you check the post you'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a link on the "tagged you" words. It's a bit hard to see on your blog, but it's there!

      Delete
  2. Hi

    I wanna tell you that you have won an award :D

    I think your blog is beautiful so I award it with the Lovely blog award.

    Follow the link for more:
    http://me-andmybooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/won-lovely-blog-award.html

    Mariska

    ReplyDelete