7 February 2012

Book Review: The Vanishing Game

The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

Format: e-arc
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Publishes: 14th February 2012
Pages: 353
Main Characters: Jocelyn, Noah and Jack
Date Started: 29th January 2012
Date Finished: 5th February 2012
Rating Given: *****

Netgalley:
A riveting thriller about a teen who thought her twin was dead—until he started writing her letters.
Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes—and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"—the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.

But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.

Kate Kae Myers is a sign language interpreter for deaf main streamed high school students. She also runs her high school's creative writing club. This is her first novel.

I wanted to read this book because it sounded really good and I loved the front cover so I knew I had to give it a try. What I never knew was how much I was going to love it.

The Vanishing Game is a completely different kind of book in which I normally read so I wasn't expecting to love it but that's what I did. I loved everything about this book I don't even think that there is anything that I don't like. It was full of twists and turns I never knew what was going to happen next it was such a thrilling roller coaster ride which I never wanted to get off from.

It had loads of heartbreaking scenes which you kind of expect when Jocelyn's brother dies but it has more than that as I was laughing and crying and even awwing as well as getting mad I was so enthralled with this novel I didn't want to read the other book I was reading which hardly ever happens to me.

Jocelyn's character is a fiery one she will stand up for what she believes in no matter what anyone thinks. There was times when she did have a bit of a meltdown but you could tell it wasn't something that she would normally do. I really felt for her character and I just wanted her to triumph.

I loved Noah's character as well but I tended to feel what Jocelyn was feeling so when she couldn't trust him neither could I when usually I am on the guy's side.

The way in which they went through there past was a great idea to do as they did it in different chapters so then more of the jigsaw would fit together, but even when you thought you had it all figured out there was a HUGE twist towards the end which I never saw coming. Even though I never saw it coming it still made since to what had happened previously.

Overall a FANTASTIC debut novel from Kate Kae Myers such a thrilling book and one I would recommend that everyone should read. I can't wait to read more from this author!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great review! There are quite a few books that I am on the fence about but I think I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my review and if you are on the fence about this one I recommend that you read it as it is one of my all time fave reads :)

      Delete