19 February 2012

Book Review: Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: 16th February 2012
Pages: 256
Main Characters: Steve Jobs
Date Started: 16th February 2012
Date Finished: 18th February 2012
Rating Given: *****

Goodreads:
"Your time is limited. . . . have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."--Steve Jobs From the start, his path was never predictable. Steve Jobs was given up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college after one semester, and at the age of twenty, created Apple in his parents' garage with his friend Steve Wozniack. Then came the core and hallmark of his genius--his exacting moderation for perfection, his counterculture life approach, and his level of taste and style that pushed all boundaries. A devoted husband, father, and Buddhist, he battled cancer for over a decade, became the ultimate CEO, and made the world want every product he touched.          Critically acclaimed author Karen Blumenthal takes us to the core of this complicated and legendary man while simultaneously exploring the evolution of computers. Framed by Jobs' inspirational Stanford commencement speech and illustrated throughout with black and white photos, this is the story of the man who changed our world.

I got an email from Bloomsbury asking if anyone wanted to read this and I took awhile to think about it as it's not my usual book but they have sent be books that I have asked for in the past and loved most so I thought I would try it.

I am so glad I agreed to reviewing this book as I was hooked and read it in only a couple of days which usually takes me a lot longer to read my books.

It was such an interesting book that told me all about the history of Apple and if you knew me you would know I love the Mac computer (although I don't have one but I will eventually).

When you look at the guy on the cover he looks like such a nice guy but once reading this book we did find out about his darker side. I was pleased that that was told as sometimes people can gloss over the lives of people who are no longer with us but this wasn't and I actually really enjoyed reading about his more darker side than when he was nice.

The last couple of chapters that was more about the later years of Jobs was actually very moving and also in parts gave me the chills, which I never expected to happen but it was very beautifully written.

Overall a brilliantly, intellectual, and moving book and one I would recommend ANYONE to read!